Thursday, April 23, 2020

4/23/20 Without Media, Would We Care About Brands?

      I like expensive stuff, I cannot deny that.  But, I was thinking about why are some things so much more expensive than others, when they seem to be of about the same quality?  For example, for the longest time I thought expensive cars like Mercedes and Jaguar were superior cars to cheaper American brands if for no other reason than that is what we see in the movies and TV.  It has taken a long time to accept in my head that all that was just BS.  My brand of choice has always been Ford and the vehicles I have had have always been solid.  My parents tell me my first truck, a 1991 Ford Ranger is still running around back home, my Excursion is going on 16-17 years, even my first F250 which I sold to my in-laws is still running, although it was in an accident a couple years ago.  One of Wife's first cars she drove was a Jaguar my father in law bought.  A beautiful sexy car, for the time, but man, it always had one little fix after another before it could really be used.  I was left unimpressed.
    As far as jewelry goes, I am glad Wife doesn't care.  I see diamonds and I have never gotten it.  It is just a little piece of glass with no color and we are supposed to spend thousands on them?  When I have wanted to like other rocks, like rubies, I am then told they are made in a lab, so I can't value something made that way, it just sounds fake, to me.  Knowing that there is a whole trade in Africa that abuses poor people to get the diamonds from dangerous mines just makes it that much worse, in my opinion.
    How about in clothing and shoes?  I get it if a nice leather shoe that is going to last a lifetime and can get overhauled might cost a few hundred dollars.  But to think that tennis shoes, like Jordans, can be worth more than say $100 is ridiculous to me.  They are made of plastic and other man made materials, few have any exotic materials like suede or leather, the price is all driven by demand and media manipulation.  I know I probably pay too much for the pants my boys are wearing, costing over $100, but at least in Boy's case, they do last him 3-4 years.  For the length of time and how well they hold up, I am ok with the cost, even if some Levi's at a third the cost would do the same.
    The only thing I still fall for in the expensive department is with watches.  I know they are a dying thing and it is easier and more accurate to get the time from your phone.  Still, I can't help but appreciate the beauty of a quality timepiece and I am only talking about analog watches.  Again, a G-shock may even provide more information with its digital capabilities, but I just think there is something special to a watch that has to be brought to life manually.  Maybe in another few years I will realize that this too is just stupid media manipulation and I would be better keeping my money in the bank.  It is kind of shitty that everything is just designed to separate you from your hard earned money.

No comments:

Post a Comment