Wednesday, April 22, 2020

4/22/20 Happy Birthday Mom?

    This has probably been the weirdest thing to go through in the time of the Corona virus.  Celebrations which normally have been times for us to get together have had to be cut short and turned into isolated parties of less than 10 people.  Today is my mom's birthday, I won't mention the age, but it is good.  She is very active, she was still volunteering at the school before they shut it down, and stays busy by being very involved with the grandkids as my brother and sister live next door and behind her.
    I am writing this on Sunday, the 19th and I have been calling her every day recently, mostly because I am bored and stuck in the house, but also to let them know we are ok and to hear that everyone over there is ok too.  She had just walked back to her house, she had been at my sister's house watching a movie and hanging out with my sister's boys.  We have the same problem, everything is fine with being in our respective homes, but once a week or so we do have to venture out and buy groceries.  That is the biggest risk of catching the virus, but it is a necessary risk to keep our food reserves stocked.
    She was wishing that we could visit soon and after she laid out the facts that they have been in isolation and nobody is sick and we have been in isolation and nobody is sick, we could go visit.  I told her honestly, it is your call, I am pretty bored here, if you want us to go, we could go next week after my work week is up.  She was quick to say no.  The city is still pretty much shutdown.  They only allow two people in a car, and there is a curfew at 10:00pm, everyone has to go home.  She said to wait until they lift the ban, then we'll see.
    So far, we have had Boy's birthday just us here at the house.  They had my nephew's birthday like two weeks ago, and there was Easter, and now my mom's birthday this week.  Those are at least 3 of the 4 events would have been gatherings where we would have visited with them.  This leaves me wondering if we will be able to get together by my younger brother's birthday in July 22 or even mine on August 21.  At some point this thing has to go away, all the other viruses have really just disappeared by themselves during the hot summer months.  But what precautions will be extended into next fall, if school even starts on time?  Will Javalina play football, will schools want to take that risk of having their boys trade sweat, saliva, and blood on the field?
    I guess for now, we will call her on her day and wish her a happy birthday, if there are to be any gifts, they will have to wait until after we are passed the corona scare.  I was just looking at purses online, the kind we usually get her and man, the prices look bigger on the computer screen than at the store.  I can't believe some dinky bag can cost $300-$400, shoot there were some for over $3500 on the Coach website.  Ouch!  We'll figure something out after this whole mess is sorted, mom, love you and Happy Birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment