Friday, April 24, 2020

4/24/20 Boy Is Back!!

    It almost seemed impossible and I was full of mixed emotions over the last few months, but Boy finally got a job offer yesterday (Thursday afternoon).  It was so heartbreaking after seeing him grow with Nano, where he did his first internship and was moved all the way to where they offered him a job as an engineer, only to have the company shut down and all the employees furloughed after he received one actual paycheck as an engineer at the start of the year.
    He remained confidant that he would bounce right back and with an even better job offer, after all, most the people he associates with that are working are making more than the $70K they offered him.  He applied all over, even "stupidly" telling us he was going to have an informal interview in Dallas, which we said absolutely no since he still needs a couple more classes to graduate and he is not moving out without a degree.  There was some weird energy there, he seems to think a degree is not worth that much, and I see his point of view, but it is the only thing you can point to and say I have that, at least when starting out.  I know I wouldn't have had the opportunities I have had without mine.
    Then this freaking virus started affecting our lives and forcing us to isolate and honestly scare the crap out of me.  I initially thought well, I am a fat fuck, it is just a matter of time before it takes me out.  It could still happen, but there have been so many changes to how we live that maybe we will all get through it.  In the midst of so much rampant unemployment though, I did not expect Boy to then tell us he had secured an interview a couple weeks ago.  My only problem is that I want him working and making money, like a grown man, but I also want to keep him home and safe.  I just have to figure they are taking precautions at work like we are with the face masks and checking our temperatures as we walk in.
    His first interview went well, then a second one, which also went well, then a third one which lasted two hours via computer last week.  He had said it went well and they would call him in a couple days.  When they didn't call Monday or Tuesday I started thinking oh well, at least he is home safe, probably not what he wanted but he is not starving or out worried about how to pay bills.  Thursday afternoon, he comes down in a shirt and underwear, the official outfit for us guys at home, asking what we are doing.  Wife asked him if maybe they had called, I thought "ooh, don't bring it up, you know they didn't or he would be talking about it..."  He was so nonchalant about it, "yeah they just called and offered me a little more than I would have gotten paid at Nano.  I accepted it and they then said I start on June 6."  I am happy mijo gets to work on something he likes basically in my field.  He will be doing some sort of engineering with a company offshoot of Toshiba, testing servers or something to that effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment