Tuesday, April 7, 2020

4/7/20 The Savings Of Staying Home?

    I really like some of the aspects of this new lifestyle.  We had not been able to save money like we have been the last few weeks.  First of all, I am not having to fill the Excursion full of gas every two weeks.  I filled it two weeks ago, and after working last week, I still have the marker closer to full than 3/4.  I am thinking I might get a month out of the one tank of gas.  I never thought it was too bad, but some people freak when I say it has a 44 gallon tank and usually I was pumping in $100 to get me through the two weeks or from one pay period to the other.  I can add Wife's car, which she went out yesterday just to turn it on.  She is homebound and since she isn't driving anywhere, she is not using any gas either.  Speaking of her new SUV, she has only gone down to La Pryor once and since the one day has been here, so after three weeks of owning the brand new Telluride, it has only about 450 miles or so, since work is about two hundred miles away.  And since we are mentioning the vehicles, with Boy being unemployed, I am paying for his gas and his Shell card (he is really good about gassing up at Shell where I got him a credit card.  He has gone from a high of close to $300 at times to $88 last month and this month will have to be even less.
    We did have to spend some money I wasn't planning, such as buying the new freezer and after some pressure from my family, another shotgun for home defense.  The freezer, though, has been awesome.  We have now stocked ourselves pretty well, if we couldn't go out for a week, we would be alright, and maybe even for two weeks, if we were frugal with our eating.  I wouldn't want to use it, but if we get to people scavenging for food, is the reason my mom and brothers wanted me to get more guns and ammo.  Boy has some by his bed, I have one and Javalina, who I don't quite trust with a gun, has an assortment of throwing knives, and axes I have found at Cabela's and Lowe's.  With the food at home and the disappointing Whataburger meal last weekend, I am not looking forward to eating out.  Wife cooks her delicious repertoire, she knows what I like and Boy and Sweetie make more exotic stuff to keep me on the edge of my seat.  Sometimes I even complain that it looks and smells gross, but just about everything they have made has been equally great, so I am being spoiled by all the great cooking.
    Shoot, we were able to transfer money to our savings and it looks like it might make it, since we get paid this week.  Usually, Wife tells me to transfer a couple hundred bucks and I do, but then I have to move it back before the next pay period.  After transferring like $400 at our last pay period, we still have $200 and no plans to go out with a pay check coming in 3 days and plenty of food still in the house.  My brother still thinks I need another gun, maybe a revolver and if we can keep saving some money, I will certainly look to get me a S&W Governor.  I like that it will shoot a range of ammo, from shotgun shells, to two different kinds of bullets.  Wife can keep the shotgun on her side of the bed at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment