Tuesday, April 28, 2020

4/28/20 Changes In Where We Shop? (part 2 of 2)

    Yesterday, I mentioned about stores that aren't going to make it through the quarantine, talking about what is "essential" versus "non-essential."  Grocery stores are at the top of the list, unless you're some sort of doomsday prepper or farmer that can self sustain, we all need food.  Liquor stores should not be on the list, come on.  I say that because I don't care for alcohol, even if we have about 30 different kinds on the shelf.  I haven't had a drink all year, I can't remember the last time, maybe in the fall trying to watch football, I had a beer, which I never even finish.  But, I get it, some people need their drink and you can't buy hard liquor anywhere else because of our stupid laws.  That alone ensures grocery stores and liquor stores will keep on existing.
    The article I was referencing mentioned Sports Authority had gone out of business, and one reason is that they did not sell guns.  Cabela's and Academy were as packed as ever when shutdowns were first mentioned.  I went and in a panic bought a back-up shotgun to keep close to me.  I just looked online and maybe because this is Texas, both those stores are still open and running, mostly because they sell guns and ammo, I don't think it's because customers need volleyballs.  I am pretty sure those stores will survive the pandemic.  Auto stores are also still surprisingly open.  I guess if you need a car, you need a car.  We can't complain actually, as Wife's Kia Soul failed us, we were able to get her new Telluride before things got real scary, we weren't even wearing masks or gloves a couple months ago.
    Wal-mart is masquerading as a grocery store is all I can figure in why they are still open.  Plus, them being one of the biggest employers in the country, they have the power to demand to stay open, and I guess that is fine.  The same goes for Target, which also sells food and honestly, I had been buying most of my food there because it is the closest store to the house.
    Well, the big three we were always told were essential "food, clothing and shelter" to stay alive are mostly represented.  There are government plans so people don't get kicked out on the street and stimulus checks to help with some food.  The only part of the retail space getting the cold hard middle finger is clothing.  That is what one mostly finds at the mall, and jewelry, and both those things are deemed "non-essential" by Uncle Sam, so tough titty Buckle and Men's Wearhouse, and Dillard's and all you other overpriced retailers.  Maybe if you focused on fajitas (skirt meat) rather than leather skirts, you could stay open.  I certainly want the mall to still exist post corona, but it is looking like it will be a different world.  Shoot, Sears was already gone pre-pandemic times and it was a solid anchor.  If Macy's goes, Barton Mall will be dependent on Dillard's and Nordstrom's as it's only two anchor stores left.  It is always darkest before the dawn, they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment