Tuesday, January 7, 2020

1/7/20 Finally Fishing Fun?

    I told Javalina we would go fishing some time this Christmas break, if he wanted to.  Every day has had its own thing going and it almost seemed like we were going to run out of time before we got some free time to do it.  This simple hour of fishing we did was not even simple, I prepared for it almost the whole two weeks since mentioning we were going to do it.
    Once we had the discussion and Javalina said he might be interested in trying it out from the shore, not to go crazy and buy a boat or go to the coast and spend a lot of money, I had the responsibility to make sure we could do it properly anywhere nearby.  This started first by taking inventory of whatever fishing rods I might still have.  I left some rods and reels in the RV when I sold it a couple months ago and honestly I was worried I had left two really expensive rod and reel combos, one being a Calcutta reel that cost over $200 bucks.  Wife insisted I look in the garage and check for them before just going out and buying a whole new armada of new rods and reels for everyone.  Luckily, I found about seven combos, including the two I was worried about, which still meant nothing to me when it came to getting a couple new rods.
    The next part was getting fishing licenses for Wife and I so we can be ready anytime we decide to go out there.  I always like to buy the combo license, good for both fresh and saltwater, just in case we find ourselves along the coast during spring break or during the summer.  I know that 7-10 rods sounds like a lot to some, but some of them are only for fishing from piers on the coast.  I keep it real and realize we have never caught anything bigger than 4 pounds, so I like to keep "my rods" set up with a reasonable 10-12 pound line and I even like dropping down to 6-8 pound line on my smallest rods and reels.  Thinner line means the fish have a harder time seeing it.  My dad believes every bite will be a 50 pound behemoth, so he likes those giant Penn spools meant to catch marlin out at sea and he is not happy unless he has about 50 pound test line, which looks like cable compared to my 6 pound line which is about the thickness of hair.  Then I need rods/reels for everyone joining us, so I have to have a couple extra set-ups.  Javalina said we were going to take his three buddies, so I needed to make sure I had a reel for the 3 buddies plus him and I and possibly Wife.
    Apart from the rod/reel combos, I also made a trip to Academy to get new hooks and weights and a couple lures.  Then there was the trip after we saw my in-laws who all gave me gift cards to Bass Pro Shops and I used the money to buy two more rods and reels.
    Finally, I told Javalina yesterday (Saturday) was the day, and of course he couldn't get ahold of one of his friends, and the other two said they wouldn't be here until 5:00pm.  I got a little pissed and muttered "you can't do shit at 5:00pm, it takes 30 minutes to an hour to get anywhere, forget it."  He then came back with 1 of my friends said he is on his way, and he arrived about 3:30pm.  I told him to tell his other friend to just get here after 6:00pm, or we will go pick him up.  He always has to run errands wit his mom, maybe he watches his younger siblings, but it is a pain waiting for him at times.  Anyways, once the 1 kid showed up, we were able to get going.
    We had looked at a couple of places on Google maps with water, like New Braunfels, but that was too far, Lake Travis, again too far.  Wife said maybe just the overflow pond at the end of the street, which made me think of kicking her, that sounded so lame, but we have seen people stopped there and trying to fish, so who knows.  There are also huge ponds behind Sam's at Southpark Meadows but that also seemed lame.  I decided to go to a park area called Roy G Guerrero park on Lake Austin by Pleasantville road in East Austin.

No comments:

Post a Comment