Thursday, January 23, 2020

1/23/20 When Does A Partner Get To Say No?

    Last night, I was more bored than anything, Wife called after she had been in a board meeting or something that kept her at work later than usual.  I usually have a wild thought in my head, which is the only way to keep going in this mundane same thing day in and day out.  Just last week she thru out the thought that we should keep the Excursion as a back-up vehicle, if I decide to buy something new.  I've been really interested in these "van life" vlogs people post on YouTube and the thought occurred "are there Excursion Conversions?"  I already own the vehicle and it is 15 years old, it would be cool to do something with it and keep it indefinitely.
    I know there are shops that will convert a 2-wheel drive to a 4-wheel drive vehicle and if I want it to be our "camper", it should be able to traverse the world without hesitation, so it should be a 4x4.  This is where we ran into our disconnect, like a mother talking to her fat slow child or a Director at a small school talking to a dopey teacher she just flat out said "you aren't doing that!"  I'm sorry, but if any of you were in my position, don't you feel like saying "who the fuck are you to tell me what I can and can't do?"  I don't mean any disrespect and of course I love Wife, BUT, I work and we make roughly the same amount of money right now, and we both know I won't go doing something stupid.  Have fun with the conversation and go along with it for a minute.  Do you always have to be strung as tight as a guitar string?
    Her conversation headed into a you don't need a 4x4 so I don't think you should be buying one.  Ummm, I never tell you what you should and shouldn't do, why do you think you are Miss Bossy Pants all of a sudden?  Aesthetically, the 4x4 trucks are nicer looking, and yes, they do tend to cost more, but who wants a boring base model?  I've been very disciplined and I've kept driving the Excursion way past its best days.  The only reason it still looks good is because I keep fixing things on it, like replacing the leather seats in the front driver and passenger when they were torn.  I've also replaced the radio, the driver sun visor, and soon the passenger sun visor.  I probably will replace the passenger door inside panel, knuckleheaded Javalina put his weight on the door pocket and broke it.
    What if I decided I am Mr. Authority and I said "no, we aren't going to Disney, we already went 6 times!"  I feel stupid making proclamations like that.  or "no, don't look at the Tellurides on your own, I say you can't buy one!"  The hubris of one person to tell another grown up what they can and can't do.... it amazes me to think I would tell her what to do.  Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment