Tuesday, January 7, 2020

1/6/20 Gus's Fried Chicken?

    After the boat show, I was particularly disgusted with the effort and the direction the boating world has taken.  One of the salesmen who I had a small conversation said it was the fault of the component manufacturers, or more the engine manufacturers.  When they sell engines for $20,000-30,000, the boats have to adjust accordingly.  I understand all that, but in the end, who can afford such crazy prices?  We got there at 7:10pm and I was worried that because they closed at 9:00pm, I wouldn't have enough time to take in everything, but we were walking out on my insistence by 8:25pm.  I stopped at the potty, we talked about what to do next, and then noticing that Gus's Fried Chicken was not packed and full, I told Wife we should eat there.
    Every time we have walked by it, she had wanted to eat there, it is a place she had tried a couple of times while doing different conferences.  We were sat instantly, but my first complaint to the waittress was if they could turn down the heat, it was like an oven.  I don't know if se adjusted the temperature but after 5-10 minutes I felt more relaxed.  It helped that more and more people were leaving and not many more were coming in.
    We all ordered chicken (it is the only thing on the menu), Wife and I ordered the 3 piece white meat and Javalina ordered the three piece tenders.  It took a few minutes for our order to come, we argued over Javalina being weird when I want to talk.  He mentioned what has been a hot topic about "World War 3" to which I said "oh, those idiots in the middle east have been at it longer than you have existed…"  I wanted to bring up that funny meme of Chevy Chase doing the news on SNL in 1976 and starting with "Trouble in the Middle East...", but Javalina got all tense and just said "ok, shut up, fine…"  I hate when he gets weird like this, but I guess there were some people who were maybe from that part of the world and he was afraid they would go all "lalalalala, I kill you!"  I just laughed and said "nah, they are probably like us Hispanics here in the US, they don't give a fuck about the people back in the middle east, they are Americans now.
    Eventually, the chicken showed up and I must say it was very good.  It was super spicy, more so than I expected, but getting past that, the chicken had a very freshly cooked flavor.  I don't normally get the beans and cole slaw but I decided to eat the plate as they recommend it.  I might have preferred the fries, but the plate was very satisfying as it was.
    We left and had to walk one block to the parking garage.  I didn't think much of it and was more concerned about the 4-5 idiots approaching on scooters that they might hit us but Wife and her delicate nose smelled the bums and almost threw up.  It smelled a little of urine and muskiness, but nothing out of the ordinary for a downtown area but it took the whole drive home to calm Javalina down, he hates how they stink up the place and "what the fuck with bums wearing Jordans?"  I did the rare thing and drove home while Wife cleaned her sleeve of a little spit as she was almost throwing up from the street smells.
    I felt great that we have started the year off right.  We went to the movies last night, and tonight we had dinner downtown.  I hope it is a sign f things to come, that we become more active in 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment