Wednesday, January 29, 2020

1/29/20 Javalina Is Slowly Growing?

    I have no doubt this boy will be our strongest family member in a couple years.  He just started lifting weights last summer, I really didn't push him/allow him because of all the dumb stuff on how it stunted growth, which now health people are calling BS.  It's ok, he is not really behind many people, and actually he thinks himself pretty hot shit in the gym.  Now that they are in off-season for football, they mostly workout in the gym and he keeps being impressed at how not strong some people are.  Whereas he keeps pushing himself and even occasionally working out at home to stay ahead, he notices like specially the other linemen who he feels should all be stronger because they are his size.
    He comes home talking about taking this guy under his wing and now he is taking another lineman under his wing and he is going to make him stronger.  He tells me, maybe looks for a little advice, that the kid is big but he can't seem to get past lifting the one plate (biggest plate, weigh 45 pounds each and you load two on the bar).  I did push him all summer and told him it was important for him to at least be lifting this much weight to make sure he was on par with the other kids in there.  Turns out, maybe this was a little more than kids his age are doing for bench press as hardly anyone was there, other than the older varsity kids.
    squat is a lift I never cared for, but I did buy him a real nice squat rack this past summer and he got antsy watching some older guys he kind of looks up to doing two plates (225 pounds), so this last week he said he went for it while his lifting partner is barely doing one plate (135 pounds).  I tell him I worry that he is going to hurt himself because he is trying to do too much, or showing off plus they don't use belts and I was taught that anytime you go with the heavy weights, you should be wearing a belt to protect from hernias.  He is a teenager and of course, he knows everything.  I just hope he doesn't hurt himself because this is how he defines himself right now and it worries me a bit, but he seems to be keeping it under control.
    He then took his muscles on tour and challenged his cousin over at my in-law's house and I was surprised to hear he beat him 4 times arm wrestling.  This kid is kind of a giant, taller than me, only a year out of high school and I did not expect it.  I barely beat him last time, so I am not looking forward to going again.  DD came over Sunday and of course, he challenged him and it was nice that he still put my young beast in his place.  Although they went at it for a good 40-50 seconds.  I am quietly trying to get back in the flow, I hate thinking that probably by next summer, he will be the family strong guy and I'll just be the grey beard around here.  I have to fight for my position for at least another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment