Sunday, January 5, 2020

1/5/20 Austin Boat Show 2020?

    Man, what happened to this boat-con (since Boy does comic cons)?  I was looking forward to going to this event since about September when I got my first e-mail notification.  Finally, the weekend got here and even after I had to argue with Wife and Javalina to be nice and if you're going to go, please behave.
    The day started out about the same as they have the last two weeks, we have been enjoying being off and just being lazy and moving at our own beat.  I got up around 10:30am and had a couple movies to write about so that came fast and easy today (Friday).  I then went back to bed because my feet were freezing, I didn't put my slippers or socks and the bare floor in the kitchen is cold in the mornings.  I was awoken pretty quick after that, I had scheduled a glass repair on Wife's car, it is one of the things she wanted to get done during her two weeks off and she is about out of time.  The guy called at 12:30am that he was on his way, so I got out of bed and came down to wait for him.  He did the work out of his van right here at the house, which was nice.  By the time he finished, it was 3:00pm and Wife said "ah no, I am not driving downtown right now when we are approaching rush hour, we can go after 6:00pm."  This sounded perfect as it gave me a chance to nap for an hour and take a poop and a shower.  We both ended up napping until almost 6:30pm, then I got up insistent that I was going to go.  Wife got dressed and I got Javalina off his video game and we headed off.
    Traffic was ridiculous from Slaughter to Ben White, and I was wanting to just forget about the whole thing, but Wife said let's see how long it takes to get there.  She then offered to drop me off at the door and she would go park the car with Javalina.  There is a parking garage a block away so I said sure, and this saved a lot of time.  I was in there about a half hour by myself which allowed me to move how I wanted to without having to be nice and polite.  I was disappointed to find only about a third of the floor dedicated to boats, the rest of the floor was covered with RVs and old cars (which were by far the coolest thing I saw).
    I wouldn't have minded the limited number of boats, but fuck, pontoon boats shouldn't cost $190,000.  They had the usual big fantasy yacht types which now go for an insane $600,000 plus dollars.  I honestly saw a handful of pontoons below $50,000 and like 6 Bayliner boats that were affordable between $23,000-$48,000.  Everything else was easily above $60,000 and honestly the median boat price I could figure was about $100,000.  I know there are plenty of people with more money than brains, but goddamn, who is pissing away $140,000 on a regular looking boat these days?
    The best part of tonight was possibly eating at Gus's Fried Chicken, to be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment