Tuesday, November 6, 2018

11/6/18 I Hardly Knew Ye, Conner?

    Sometimes you hear stories about hard working people and all the plans they made for the future, but then their life is cut short and all that is left is a pile of unfulfilled dreams  and plans.  This is one of those stories.  Conner was born deaf in one ear and was almost legally blind, but you never met a harder worker.  He was the kind of guy that would show up for work like no matter what was weighing on his mind.
    I've met a couple of Conner types over the years.  Full of pride, almost more proud of the color of his skin than what his job allows him to do.  I was never crazy about his attitude, once he sets himself up for a shift, he won't budge, you have to respect him, he wants to act like a cop, all he is lacking is a ticket book.  It seems almost perfect that he works, er worked for the state doing road construction.  These guys get high on power, and then nobody seems to monitor them, they take as long as they want to get their job done.  Once I admit this, I don't know what will happen, but at least I will have cleared my conscience.
    Last week, my rear window cracked and shattered on Thursday afternoon.  Luckily, Wife was here and I decided I would take her car to prevent more glass from cascading off.  I rarely drive Wife's car and so it goes, I was having trouble fidgeting with the stereo when out of the black of night, Conner jumped in front of me.  He had to have been hiding in the tall-ish grass and maybe things got too hard for him, he decided to end it all, but boom.  It happened too fast for me to react, I apologize to the whole family.  He is survived by his wife, Connie, Conner Jr, baby Conway, and the late Conway Lewis who also met his fate under the wheels of an 18-wheeler.
    I am still in shock, I have never taken out something so drastically.  One minute I am in  the middle of some happy 60's music after being in a depressed 70's folk music stuff, the next I am a murderer.  There are a couple of loopholes in the story.  First of all, Conners don't work alone, they always work with at least twenty relatives, all of them having that same look, you know what I am talking about.  Why was this particular Conner alone?  I think it was a planned suicide or maybe a murder by getting thrown into traffic.  Maybe Conner saw more than the headlights of America driving by.  Maybe he saw a drug deal gone wrong, or he was witness to a pimp slapping some hoes around.
    Either way, I hope you can forgive oh mighty street warrior.  Wife, I hope you can forgive me busting up your undercarriage, I mean your car's undercarriage, I didn't realize one of those guys would do much if any damage.  We didn't notice it Saturday or I would have at least looked under there.  All I can say is keep your eyes open, with all the construction, sometimes the cones get displaced, I hit one and it did some damage to Wife's car, even though it did not actually go under the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment