Friday, November 9, 2018

11/9/18 About Tent Cities?

    One of my friends on Snapchat was going on about feeling bad because apparently, Austin has decided to clean up some area that was getting a bit thick with homeless people living in makeshift houses.  She was mostly upset because they were confiscating or taking all the "tent" houses down and disposing of them in the trash, she was saying it is not fair for the police to show up and just take what little possessions they own.
    I can't say that I enjoy this, but something needs to be done.  I have noticed that under the turnaround to get to work, at Ben White and Montopolis for about the past year and a half, people have sort of taken root there.  There are an assortmet of people who beg at the various corners, then turn around and sleep under the protection of the highway above.  I am betting it helps that the concrete absorbs heat all day and thus stays warm through most of the night, now that it is a little cooler.  Of course, there must be a good collection of good samaritans who give these people money, ensuring that they stay there indefinitely.
    This is the same thing over at Southpark Meadows, which is slowly becoming land of the homeless.  Stopping to get gas at the Walmart gas place at night, gives you about a 40-50% chance of getting hit for a couple bucks, or some change.  I don't feel safe and I am an oversized 400 pounder, I can't imagine a tiny 100 pound woman feels safer if she stops here.  I'm sorry, but if someone doesn't clean up Southpark Meadows, it is going to go the way of Highland Mall.  I used to love walking around Highland Mall, it was different enough to Barton, that it was worth the drive north once in a while.  As it got closer to them shutting down, they started letting teens hang out like they owned the place.  Sorry, but any area loaded with a bunch of kids just looking for their own amusement while trying to stay out of the summer heat does not help a bottom line.
    We are starting to go farther out rather than dealing with the bums in Southpark Meadows.  For example, the Whataburger is almost guarenteed that you will have to interact with some homeless person.  I'm sorry, but I don't even like interacting with well to do people, why would I want to talk to somebody who could use a couple bucks?  I had a 25% reduction in pay, mother f*cker, have I ever asked you for a little help?  There is another Whataburger if we go West on Slaughter Lane for about 3-4 miles, which isn't far at all, plus we haven't seen homeless that way.
    If you let them stay and don't tear down their shit, thy are going to think they own the place, I'm sorry but if you think that is good, wait 5-10 years and see where Southpark Meadows is at.  I don't think people will be shopping there if the homeless population keeps growing, an area can only carry so many.  I cannot be the only person looking to move further west because of this problem.
    I don't think that it is fair that we house these people either.  They already showed they don't want to work a forty hour shift, are they going to be given housing so they can hang out all day drinking or whatever people that don't work do?  This seems irresponsible as a taxpayer, I don't like this at all.  What little sympahy I had, washed away when I think of all the years I have been at work when I would rather be fucking around with my kids or even just laying around the house.
    If you think tent cities are a great idea, look at LA or any other big city and it is a huge problem.  If you can't afford to live here, leave for places with cheaper housing.

No comments:

Post a Comment