Thursday, November 22, 2018

11/23/18 Thanksgiving And A Birthday All In One?

    We pulled a Krull today and chased the sun all day long, it seemed.  Today was the first time in perhaps twenty years that we did not have Thanksgiving in our house.  My in-laws wanted to have the celebration in their house because Wife's youngest sister was working in the morning and initially her brother was on call.  Her brother ended up having his own turkey with his in-laws, so we did not see any of them.  Our day started around 10:00am, when Wife's alarm clock rang and woke her up.  I had woken at 9:30am and meant to go down and have a cup of coffee, but that didn't happen, I decided to play with my phone and fell right back to sleep.
    I got up, decided not to argue about leaving and just farted and jumped in the shower.  I was still the last one to be ready, but we did eventually get going about 11:20am.  A little side note, as much as Wife complains about me sleeping, she "meant to give me daytime Nyquil, but accidentally" gave me the nighttime variety for my little cough.  I was out before we hit the highway, but did wake up easy enough at Buc-ee's to go get a coffee and to fill up the car with gas.  We decided to go in Boy's Edge since his GF was going with us and it is a slightly bigger vehicle.  Wife got us to San Antonio while I slept a little bit more.  It had to be before 2:00pm, and we quickly did a prayer and then started seating for the meal.
    The meal was pretty standard, with turkey, ham, stuffing, green beans, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry, and biscuits.  Everything was delicious and was followed by a bunch of different desserts, including a crème brule, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, cake, and some other funky bread type thing with fruit on top.  I was happy enough and full enough to just sit there and not do much, maybe take a nap, but we had promised my mom we would come down to Crystal City, so on the road we got.
    We got on the road at 5:00pm and got to Crystal, right at 7:00pm.  Everybody was done eating, but most of my relatives were still hanging around, so we sat and visited with my people the rest of the evening, until they all left, around midnight.  People might have stuck around longer but everyone is excited about the Javalinas playing in the next round of the playoffs and they are all going to San Antonio to watch them play.
    Javalina was celebrated at both houses, with a cheesake at my in-laws and then a wrapped something that resembled a calzone, also with pumpkin, which the boy loves.  As much as I would have loved being home and not being bothered, it was nice to visit with loved ones, even if for a few hours.  We head back tomorrow morning to enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend.  Wife and the boys are off until Monday morning and I go back to work on Monday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment