Thursday, November 1, 2018

11/1/18 Football for Javalina? (Part 2)

    That last game was so full of everything good, for a fighter like our son.  First off, I didn't even mention he was named one of three captains, which is nice to be acknowledged, he works so hard to be a good player.  Along with this, he was named player of the week like the second or third game this season and he did manage to start on both sides fighting in those trenches, pushing the big boys back and forth.  Sometimes I want to think he is perhaps too soft or too nice, but I lined up with him as recently as two weeks ago and if I didn't tell him to go easy, he would have taken me down just trying to get around me.  Within his space he moves fast and strong, he just needs to get faster out in open space.
    The team came together maybe a little too late in the season, but I think the coaches did very good with what they had to work with.  The point where the coaches took control I feel was in the third to last game when one of the coaches came to the stands and talked to one of the dads.  He didn't embarass him and he kept his voice down, but I could hear him saying the players can only listen to one set of instructions, you can't be coaching your kid from the bleachers, he has to be part of a unit.      Javalina said it had been fustrating in the huddles earlier in the season because the running backs and receivers were pointing fingers at the linemen for not blocking, and the linemen were complaining that they weren't moving fast enough.  Somehow or other, that all stopped on the last two games.  I don't believe you can win until all the parts trust each other.  The last drive, when O.Henry could have scored, Javalina said that it was very positive in the huddle, it was more of a come on guys we can stop them, let's just get the ball back, nobody pointed fingers like earlier.
    It was nice after the game, Javalina wanted to go to Red Robin which was down the street, and he said "I am not being a smart-ass, but I want to say thank you for letting me do this and picking me up after practice."  We said of course, we want you to have good experiences, and I am still sorry for oversleeping yesterday, you know I never like to make you think you are alone.  He said he realized it was stupid of him to get mad at me and not talk to me when I finally got him.  I said I understood fully him being mad at me, but really boy, you know we live for you and your brother, that was just a little mess up.  He said it was fine, he knows my sleep is messed up.
    Big Bro did not join us as he was studying for a final, but we sat there after our burgers and talked about his plans.  He is still thinking of basketball, he doesn't like that he'll be on the B team since he has never played.  I told him it doesn't matter, it is just to help condition you for next year's football season.  Even if he doesn't do that, he has the boxing class starting up next week which I feel is good to strengthen his core, help build his arms and make his feet faster.
    I see him as a big hunk of clay that wants to be molded.  I also feel I have to step up, stop being such a lazy fucker and start liftng weights to motivate him.  I didn't want ot do it too early, but at this point, it is all preparation for freshman football next year.  Whether he ends up at Akins or Crockett, I expect big things from him, if only because he has the attitude and a love of the game which is making me more interested than I have been in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment