Thursday, November 15, 2018

11/15/18 Movies To Shape Javalina?

    Since our boy is starting his adolescence and is no longer a baby, I have been trying to show him movies that impacted me, or had just a little bit more than some laughs and enetertainment.  I think some movies are important to know, the original movie to know is Star Wars, that is so important and helped us with important definitions of what it took to be good and evil, and the many sacrifices everyone has to make for the greater good.  Of course, Javalina is very familiar with it already, so no rush on that front.
    I think the whole Kevin Smith world starting with Clerks and especially Mallrats and Dogma are important.  None of this is as highly regarded as Star Wars, but there are important elements in Dogma, especially.  It deals with religion and the whole charade that it seems.  There is also a special  camaraderie between pairs of characters that transcends the screen bromances, such as Silent Bob and Jay who are real friends and Ben Affleck and Matt Damon who used to be tight, I don't know about now.  This was all comedy that was perfect for me in my early 20's, Smith just spoke our language and he referenced movies such as the John Hughes canon on juvenile experiences which again were right down our juvenile thoughts.
    Last week I went and bought a new Pulp Fiction, we had a copy, but I could not find it.  Luckily, movies are very cheap nowadays.  I found a Blue Ray copy at Half Price Book for $8, but then we had a 50% sale coupon for Veteran's Day and it came out to like $4.32.  I think this movie is very important, the way Tarantino cuts the movie and presents it out of order just seems weird the first time, but it works.
    I thought Matrix was important enough that he should see, but I already played it, we have a copy in our movie collection.  The 2nd and 3rd part are just not the same magic as the first one, but they do have a little, not that I think they are necessary.
    I loved the Fifth Element, it shows Bruce Willis at his best, even as I hear he is kind of hard to work with.  Boy bought a Blue Ray copy recently, and I think it holds up.  The whole bloated taxi cars floating in layers is a little ridiculous, but the rest of it was pretty cool.
    There are so many movies to consider, which is the fun of it.  We are molded by our experiences and if our experiences include these movies, then of course, they belong in the must watch, but we can only watch 1-2 on any given weekend.  This weekend is reserved for Pulp Fiction, and maybe Dogma, I am in the mood to rewatch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment