Wednesday, April 4, 2018

4/4/18 Track and Field?

    Javalina is back on the field, this time trying out the shotput and discus for his track and field team.  I kind of like how the little body types break down, all the super small and skinny types trying to fly over the high bar, the speedsters running around the track, and then the big guys all the way over there, off the track throwing weight around pretty consistent with their size.  In Javalina's defense, he is no longer one of the top three jumbo sized players on his team, although he is still one of the big 'uns.
    I am amazed at his confidence, he started a couple weeks late, and he already considers himself one of the better discus and shot-putters in his grade.  I saw that he has a lot of work to do before I would consider myself anywhere near the best, he just tells me how the coaches tell him he is a natural and how he was explaining to the girls how to grab the disc to launch.
    The only problem I foresee is not having enough time to fit his boxing classes in.  I like that he was doing that because it was keeping him flexible and loose, not that he is going to quit anytime soon, but there are only so many hours in a day.
    It is kind of funny talking about discuss and shotput because he has more in common with Wife than me with track and field.  Wife actually did it throughout high school, I remember going out there and watching her do it once in a while.  Another person really into the discus was my brother, he could make the discuss fly nice from time to time.
    It feels weird for them to be starting another major sports program in April because whatever happens, school ends at the end of May, so there can only be about 8 weeks of these activities.  I am on the one hand excited to see how big this boy is going to get, but on the other, he does scare me a bit in that he has some aggression in him.  Taking punches from him I know he can punch with some oomph, all these exercises and activities will only be helped by him starting a weight training program.  I think since he is now 13, he is ready, maybe this summer, I can introduce him to the bench press, I have a feeling he is going to take to it like a duck does to water.

No comments:

Post a Comment