Thursday, April 12, 2018

4/12/18 Should I?

    I have always been a loyal person, never thinking of abandoning the company that has kept me around for over twenty years.  Yesterday, there was a layoff and the company that works with us, our parent company essentially, still shares lab space with us.  When we split up, we were going to have a cushy contract with Spansion, at the time, and thus, it would be in theirs and our interest to stay close.  Knowing how things work and people in general, this is not what ultimately happened.  Spansion got worried and to ensure that they wouldn't be waiting brought in newbies plus they had kept almost half of the people that Cerium was formed from.
    Anyways, I found out today that not only did one of those people get laid off, another one submitted her two week notice, as in she has decided she has had enough.  Shoot, this person was saying "just a few more years" back before we were announced and split up.  So now, instead of losing one person, they will have lost two and I almost feel like they might hire one person in a short while after everything settles down from the layoff round.
    I feel like I am betraying my company just thinking about switching over, but I still feel I was targeted unfairly.  I understand the pay cut of 15%, I know I was one of the higher paid employees, but I didn't get there by accident.  Every raise I got was because of hard work, but if I am going to be a team player and 15% was needed, ok.  The salt in the wound was the extra 10% they took from my night shift differential.  Now, I get paid an extra 5% to be here alone all night, to miss out on my kids in the evening, when they are home.  I get to run around on the weekends tired because I have worked and slept opposite of everyone else.  It is easy to say, "yeah, I worked nights too, that one year back in 1998, it was hard, I get you."  No, it is not the same, I have gone from my early twenties to my mid forties working nights, almost 22 years, don't tell me about your semester when you stayed up until 3:00am and you understand me.
    If I do make the jump, this is why I am doing it.  I expect to be compensated fairly, and what was done last year was not fair.  Nobody else got anywhere near my pay cut.  There's other things I hear and they really scare me about our company.  I wish we weren't treated like mushrooms, that's it.  It is fine to be doing shitty, just admit it out loud, aren't we in it together?  Haven't we shown enough loyalty?  The core group isn't going anywhere unless we get thrown out on our asses, the people above should realize this by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment