Thursday, April 26, 2018

4/26/18 FInal Track And Field Was Not?

    After a rough start and missing the first meet for our son, I promised to be better and show up earlier than he suggested.  It worked for the next couple of meets.  It was fun, I only wish he also had a chance to throw the discus in competition.  It seems the was the back up discus guy and was even told to warm up for it twice at meets but was then told not to worry about it.  What I like most about my Javalina is that he has a fire burning in his belly.  He was pissed he didn't do better.  That being said, I wanted to make sure he could only be mad at himself this past week.  I don't like shitty kids that blame everyone around them for their shortcomings.  After the last meet when we were walking and talking towards the car I told him "remember, this is not football, if you don't like your ranking, it is all on you, this is a sport of 1.  You need to get stronger, practice more and focus.  Just being mad for the sake of being angry is not helpful."
    I don't know if any of my words sunk in, but he said during practice this week, he had thrown thirty feet.  I am always a little leery, but I said hmm, then do it at the meet and you'll be where the winner was at the last meet.  First and second place were within inches in the 30 feet range.  He threw a respectable 27 feet, which put him 7th in the group.
    We did everything we could to support him today.  I got up with enough time to shower and get there with time to spare.  Wife showed up, she was in San Antonio for a thing, and even Boy joined us right as we were getting ready to leave the house.  The only problem was that a big ole rain storm accompanied us and it did not give up until after we did.  It rained from about 5:00pm to around 7:00pm, which cut the whole thing out.  It sucked because we were ready to get rained on, I took my frogskin, a poncho thing that is waterproof, Wife and boy had umbrellas, but the kids were not allowed out of the busses even as we all sat there.  Boy texted a couple times that maybe they would start at 7:00pm.  I couldn't help but fall asleep, as Wife was being her usual worker bee and conducting work through her phone.
    Eventually, the coaches gave up, I guess there was a little lightning and they are throwing metal balls and disks at the sky, so they chose not to tempt chance and have someone get hit by Zeus's mighty thunder bolts.  The season ended in a whimper at Taco Bell.  In our hearts, we believe our little champion threw for 30feet, but the world will never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment