Monday, April 23, 2018

4/23/18 Nobody Gives A Crap About How Good/Great You Are?

    The title above came to me after arguing a bit with Wife over nothing, really.  I got up early, at 10:30am and rolled out of bed.  We've been doing too much eating out and haven't had much food in the house.  I really wanted barbacoa and eggs, so I headed to HEB and bought enough to eat breakfast and then some assorted meat packs to grill later in the day.
    I felt pretty good, I let Wife sleep in another hour or so, now we have food and even sodas, so we should be good at least for a day.  By the time I put everything away, Wife was coming down.  I felt good after sleeping most of Saturday away, today would be better.  I decided I have done my part, Wife can scramble some eggs and even Javalina can heat up some tortillas.  All I want to do is look at a couple of boats from my Boating magazine being reviewed on You Tube because then you see the boat in action moving and how the people really fit in it.  But no.  Wife can't help but snipe at me that that is all I do nowadays.
    She then gets on it and proceeds to spend over an hour doing what she does.  Of course, thing 1 is doing Financial Aid paperwork for Boy, which great, she is an American hero, but shouldn't Boy at least be in the room?  Then she gets done with this and she does some other paperwork, including more for the solar panels, proving that what I do on the computer is crap compared to the important stuff she does.
    While this is going on, Javalina is vacuuming the living room and somehow catches the metal edge that helps make an edge for the carpet to transition to different floor in the kitchen, somehow he snapped it in half, now I got two brass metal pieces standing on edge looking to catch human skin.  I know it wasn't his fault, but I also know that the only person who is going to fix that is me.  I had just sat at the laptop, and I know it seemed like I was listening to annoying music, but I was also thinking of ways to fix it.  We got lucky in that I found the exact right type of metal I needed and then next to it, something that would work better.  Instead of removing the strip with the tons of tacks that hold the carpet in place, we found a slightly wider piece of brass meant to do the same thing.  It had the holes already drilled in and I have a hammer drill which is meant for this specific thing, drilling into concrete.
    After I got done, I was met by the same thing.  Cool, or about time, are we going anywhere?  If I had ignored it, within a couple of weeks one of my little knuckleheads would have gotten a busted foot.  The point is I am good to great every day because I am.  I keep expecting a pat on the back or an attaboy, but if I did shitty work, I wouldn't accept it.  I went a long way to say that our quality comes from within.  Wife is who she is because she has an engine that burns hotter than most people around her.  She doesn't get the "Good Job" from her surrounding cast as often as she should, but that is not her fuel.  I guess knowing this is good because a lot of time we go out of our way only because we are the only person there who can go out of their way.  it may feel like it sucks, but could you live with yourself doing shitty less than quality work?  No, it's not who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment