Friday, March 16, 2018

3/17/18 My Parents Visit?

    It took awhile, but my folks finally made it over here.  When the week of Spring Break started, they were going to come up, but my dad had gotten sick.  There was a lot of back and forth, but it took a few trips to the doc, my dad finding out he had bronchitis, and some more meds, but finally my mom said not to worry about going down there and they would come up.
    We woke up with not much to do until they showed up, Wife suggested to go and wash her car with a free birthday coupon.  It was supposed to take an hour or so, so we went and ate at Fuddrucker's.  This took a good hour and change, we came home immediately, and my folks showed up 10 minutes later after we arrived.  We all said our hellos and then we got going.  I really wanted to show my mom that art exhibit on Lamar with the Dr. Seuss stuff.  She liked it enough, but as we all said, everything was pricey.  Upon paying more attention to an image inspired by The Wizard of Oz, I found myself liking the gritty way Dorothy turned out as life chewed her up.  My mom said the Cowardly Lion was too wimpy and even made more effeminate with a bow on its hair.  Boy came in saying he liked it too, and we could get it by doing a 6 month layaway.  Maybe if I can string a series of OT nights I work.  I really want to have art that makes people think, not just pretty pictures on the wall.
    Our next stop took us to Best Buy, my brother was looking for a new computer, although he was open to either a laptop or a desktop.  Boy got him to decide a desktop fitted his needs better and we soon found ourselves headed to Fry's as Boy said the selection would be much better.  It turns out there has been a run on laptops and desktops, there was very little selection left to choose.  My brother decided to hold up and wait on a new computer.  Before we left Fry's, I bought a couple plane magazines, I still think I would love to become a pilot someday, Wife keeps saying no.
    Driving back on Lamar, we drove by Santorini Café which Boy said is the best Greek food in the city.  I don't know where he got that title "best" but I've had a bit of an open mind recently and everyone else was willing to give it a try.  The food was really good, Wife and I split a gyro and a lamb pizza and we had an appetizer with hummus, some fat bread that had the texture of tortilla.  The lady in charge seems to treat her customers as family, coming around to see how we were doing, rubbing Boy's back when we said he comes all the time and it was his suggestion, seemed to mutter, one of those good job Mijo, but in Greek.  We then drove all the way back on Lamar and First, stopping at a 24hr panaderia to get some pan dulce for the morning.
    The night ended quietly, Mom, Javalina, and I talking about what we've been up to, Javalina "showing" grandma different ways we grab him and him throwing himself all over the living room.  It was a nice evening, let's see if we can match it or better it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment