Monday, October 31, 2016

10/31/16 What Becomes Of Old Friends After Twenty Years Of No Contact?

    As I have mentioned, Wife is back in our hometown and running into all sorts of people.  Because of her new titles, she is getting a bunch of new trainings, and for example, today (Thursday), she was in San Antonio at a conference.  Through random selection, she sat at the same table as my old room mate from the UT days.
    When I went to UT, there was one other guy from Crystal City that was going to come up, but his parents wanted him staying in the dorms, mostly because he had no car.  I knew I did not want to stay in the dorms, I had last shared a room with somebody when I was in 6th grade, I was not going to share a room as I turned twenty.  Luckily, while getting transcripts and last minute paperwork at the Junior College, I ran into this guy.  Turns out, he was also headed to Austin to UT and he also didn't have a roommate locked down.  We were both hesitant, we had had many run-ins at the different silly games we played, such as Pictionary (our team won the three semesters it was held), disk golf, and other shenanigans.  I was kind of cocky and smart-ass, walking out of the junior college with a 4.0.  He was a couple years older and had a different coolness and always needed to be in control. 
    We actually clicked, and had an awesome three years at UT.  We were inseparable, waited for each other after classes if it was reasonable, worked out together every day, went out on the weekends to the same places.  He was even godfather to Boy, I thought we would be friends for life.  Then we graduated.  After a couple months or maybe a couple years, we had moved into our first house, I had just bought our boat, since the boat was a 1998 and we graduated in 1994, it was a good four years, he came over with his usual posse.  He always traveled with a group, his brother, sister, wife, and maybe another friend or two.  Instead of having a good time, maybe planning to go out to the lake, he was belligerent, already drunk when he came by.  He kept calling me a pussy this and faggot that to Boy who was four or five.  It doesn't hurt me to call me whatever, but I also didn't understand why the anger towards me, I had about held this guy as a role model.  He helped me break free of my introvertedness.  He made me more confidant to talk to girls.  I just said okay, he left very drunk, and never called to apologize or say anything else about it, so I moved on. 
    Fast forward to today, Wife is sitting across from him, asked him are you so and so?  He says yeah, did we meet at another conference?  Wife said uh no.  You were my husband's roommate for three years, we know each other.  She said he just agreed with her and excused himself from the table.  This is very odd behavior to me.  I can still envision the Depeche Mode playing in the background, that was his kind of music, to our Metallica.  He came around, but there were a lot of great nights we ran around with the windows down enjoying new music he exposed me to and vice versa.
    From what I have gathered from Wife, she has run into other people that know him.  He is Director of a private school down there, and one of the teachers at Wife's school worked with him.  She was saying that he claimed to have been roommates with Mathew McConaughey while we went to school.  He can claim him and Michael Dell if he wants, but I never saw either in our shitty apartments off Riverside (Royal Crest Apartments) or Oltorf (big 4 bedroom apartment) when the other guy from Crystal City changed his mind and wanted to stay with us the second year, and another guy from Uvalde also joined us.
    It is funny to me to recreate yourself like that.  I have always accepted me as I was.  We have good qualities and shitty qualities, we all do.  Some of us that are driven might not have foresight to slow down and smell the roses.  Others that spend too much time partying forget time is moving along and get left behind.  Some of us settle for a simple life, some of us are never quite content and we keep moving and searching for riches we might never acquire.  Whatever mission we are on in our given time, keep it real, why fabricate stories to make yourself sound more interesting than what your original story was?  If he needs to keep selling the story of having a famous roommate, go ahead, again, I don't care, but what does that accomplish?  I could tell people I drive a Lamborghini, but I really don't have that experience, and I doubt my fat ass would even fit in a tiny car like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment