Thursday, October 20, 2016

10/20/16 Robin Williams, Actor For All Ages?

    Today (Wednesday) was good, I had lunch with both boys.  Boy is busy with labs on Mondays and Tuesdays, then rest of the week is more relaxed.  We had lunch at Wendy's, we had not had a burger in more than a few days, and Chubs was Jonesing for a Baconator.  We weren't discussing anything in particular, I was helping Chubs finish his math homework, Boy was trying to help by confusing him with terms he is not ready to hear, mathwise, but we got through it.
    Boy then asked if I had just watched Good Will Hunting, I said no, because I didn't feel like crying, he said it must have been his buddy.  I said it is a great movie, aside from the math, Robin Williams does an awesome job with the Matt Damon character, he even won a Best Supporting Actor for his role, his only Oscar.  He should have won one for Genie, but I guess cartoons were not taken seriously back in the 90's.  This just adds to his mystic.  He was such a wonderful actor, always bringing so much energy, maybe too much, but he gave his all to leave you with a smile.  I think he ran the full range from cartoons to dark and even weird.
    Chubs was like "I don't know who that is.", then I mentioned he was the voice of Genie and he said oh yeah, then Boy said he was also Teddy Roosevelt from the Night At The Museum franchise.  Again, Chubs was like "oh yeah, I liked that guy."  I can say Wife liked him in Dead Poets Society, Hook, Popeye, The Birdcage, Patch Adams and on and on.  Boy kind of grew up on Aladdin, Flubber, Jumanji, and even Fern Gully, we still have all those on VHS somewhere in the house.  I loved him in all those movies, but I really liked Death To Smoochy, a dark comedy that did not get quite enough attention, it had everything to be a big hit, it just seemed a little dark.  Another movie I really liked and I didn't see it until he passed away in 2014 was Good Morning Vietnam.  He was really good in that, I'm glad Netflix keeps re-showing his work.
    There are few actors which have such a huge range, he even played creepy well, if you saw One Hour Photo.  His career is how you do it, starting with a bit part in Happy Days as Mork, being so over the top, he gets his own show spun off, then he was off and running. 

No comments:

Post a Comment