Friday, October 21, 2016

10/21/16 Finally, Wound Care To The Rescue?

    I finally had the gash on my leg dealt with.  I had gotten a referral a couple weeks ago, but as most things, they were too busy to see me right away.  The best time I could decide on was 1:00pm (Thursday), and since I worked last night, and I get to drop off Chubs at 7:45am, I got about 3.5hours sleep before getting up, worried I would oversleep.
    I got there early, hoping I could take care of all the paperwork before my time, but the receptionist actually told me they schedule time to do all the paperwork, so even though my appointment was for 1:00pm, I wouldn't be seen until 1:30pm.  He was kind enough to say "I'm not gonna lie, this is gonna hurt, maybe a lot, depending on your pain tolerance."  All of this is not a big deal other than, Chubs gets out at 3:40pm and I like to pick him up on time.  I got through all the paperwork, why haven't all these medical facilities gotten on a universal online system where our information automatically follows us around anywhere we check in?  I've been to Urgent Care, fill out paperwork.  Then I went to Victory Medical, fill out similar paperwork.  Now here, the Wound Care And Hyperbaric Treatment, and first thing, fill out paperwork.  It is always the same dumb stuff.  Don't they keep telling us, Big Brother is watching?  Be useful, bro-bro and copy the info to everybody the first time.  We gave up our freedoms a long time ago in the name of safety and security.
    Anyways, they were a little efficient once I got called in.  They had a technician take my vitals, she was friendly and introduced herself.  After going back and forth on the need for the larger cuff, on account of my huge pythons you smaller people call arms, she moved onto preparing the cut on my leg for the nurse.  At least the nurse was an RN, she introduced herself and said she had been a nurse for 20 plus years and been doing wound care for the last 12 years.  All that is nice, but even she said "the lidocaine will numb the area, but it might still hurt, I'll go slower if I have to."  I was expecting pain for an hour, in reality, it did not hurt except when I looked down and saw her cutting chunks of meat and black stuff with the scalpel.  She kept me talking, which helped to distract me, and I just kept looking at the ceiling.  Once she pulled away, I took a quick pic and noticed not much more black stuff, then she got the doctor to come in.  I was nervous figuring if the doctor starts cutting deeper it will hurt because the nurse already took all the dead stuff.  The doc did what any good doc would do, picked up the scalpel and touched here and there.  I clumsily looked at her go into the hole and whimpered, but it didn't hurt, it just looked like it was supposed to hurt.
    By 2:40pm they had wrapped my leg and I was on my way.  I even had time to stop at HEB and get some food before picking up Chubs and getting back to normal.  Although normal will be awhile, since I have to go back twice a week so they can change my dressings, at least until it starts looking better, then they might trust me to do it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment