Monday, October 3, 2016

10/3/16 Fall Coming Around?

    I finally think I feel Fall in the air.  There have been a couple of cool nights which are always lovely and make me start thinking of sweaters and jackets.  Normally, we start decorating the house for Halloween in September, but given our current situations with my shitty leg and Wife only here on the weekends, I just started decorating tonight.  I doubt I will be able to break everything out, but at least I will put some effort into what I do.
    Another sign we are in Fall season is the shorter days.  The sun is gone by about 7:30pm.  Even in the morning, I notice the sun taking longer to come out.  The biggest sign of Fall should be the weekly football games, but with another shitty season lining up for the Longhorns, it becomes harder and harder to sit and enjoy the games.  This weekend, they just forgot to play defense, and what the hell with three missed PAT attempts.  They have now had two blocked PAT blocked and run back for two points.  What do you say to that when you can't even celebrate a touchdown until you sit there and cross your fingers and hope for the extra point before you can relax.
    As far as decorating, it involves wrapping the stair rails with Halloween colored lights, hanging an assortment of spiders, followed by demons and whatever else we keep buying.  I then wrap everything with the fake spider web to give it a unified theme.  This is for the entryway/foyer.  The rest of the house is tamer, but the kitchen, for example, we have plastic knives and axes and some scythes.  I'll hang these all around.  The living room gets clown heads and other scary creature heads hung up high.  Normally, the kitchen and living room are open to each other through these big "arches", but a couple years ago, I bought fabric and had my mom sew some black curtains with Halloween creatures in gold foil.  The real reason for the curtains is that if we end up watching a UT game during the day, the curtains help darken the living room.
    I have the stuff for the upstairs balcony all lined up, I just need to go out there and work on placing the stuff and securing it so the wind does not make it fall.  Zip ties work perfectly for holding things in place.  I am not sure about doing the yard in the usual way we do.  I hate worrying abour my stuff getting stolen.  The forst or second year we were here, some jerk took one of our snowmen and then connected it three houses down, on a house that was for sale. 
    We are already discussing Christmas and what kind of budget we'll be spending on family gifts, so yeah, time keeps a marching.  It would be great if we could turn off the A/C, but not with highs in the 90's still.  Finally, Fall isn't complete without planning and going to the Texas Renaissance Festival.  We have about eight weeks to choose from up to the weekend of Thanksgiving.  I like to wait until November to improve the chances of going on a cool weekend, but with Texas weather that is never a given.

No comments:

Post a Comment