Friday, October 21, 2016

10/22/16 Does Your Vehicle Define You?

    Since looking at watches and other high end nice things on YouTube, it has suddenly started suggesting videos other than Passenger (I was stuck just listening to Him for awhile).  One of the articles last night was Does The Car You Drive Have An Effect On How You Are Portrayed?  I thought it was an interesting video because in my quest to be materialistic I would say off the top of my head "yes, what you drive tells others who you are trying to be."  I know my counterparts at work and everyone I love arguing with would say "nope, nobody cares about what you drive, it's just a machine that transports you back and forth.
    I have always considered myself to be utilitarian.  Although I would love to drive a flashy sports car, maybe something like the Porsche Panamera, sporty but my family of four still fits.  The truth is I am a truck guy.  I need to own a truck just to be ready to move my boat or RV, not that I have in the last couple years.  I was very nervous at suddenly having to move our RV and not having a proper vehicle at my disposal to do it, on my terms.  In the twenty years I have been working and buying my own vehicles, I have owned three F-250s, two F-150s, the Excursion, and an Expedition.  Because I love a sexy car we bought the Chrysler 300 when they were redesigned and seen as sexy for awhile.  We have also had two convertibles which I loved, but they have been too small for us.  I still think the Nissan Murano convertible would have been perfect for us, but it came and went in a window when we couldn't fit one in.  I can only imagine there will be other convertibles even if they are niche automobiles, hopefully, we are better prepared next time.
    The guy in the video brought up the point that in a small town where everybody knows you, they might not be as prone to judge you based on your vehicle, if they know you are a real good teacher, lawyer, etc.  But in a bigger city where people don't always know each other or even in a big corporation where the executives or higher ups may not know you, what you drive may affect their perception.  If upper management is a bunch of vegans driving electric cars, and you show up in a dualie with twin smoke stacks, you might be seen as public enemy #1.  If your boss pulls a horse trailer and his boss has a 1000 acre farm, then your dualie might be appreciated for its ability to maybe help them out, in a pinch.
    I just did the same thing there, equating the vegans with driving electric cars, maybe these two have gone hand in hand, but our next vehicle might be an electric vehicle and plenty of cow and other meats will be carried in the back.  This is the beauty of having a wife who can drive the electric car to keep my man status.  I shall keep chugging barrels of oil in my trucks for as long as the governemt allows Ford to sell them in this here great country of ours, 'Merica, Fuck Yeah!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment