Thursday, October 27, 2016

10/27/16 I Remember "Subtle"?

    Wife is in a conference this week and said she ran into one of my old teachers from high school English class.  I thought it was a little weird for a couple of reasons.  First off, I don't remember any of the other teachers that did English back in the day.  Crystal City High School is 99% Hispanic students and even the teachers were mostly Hispanic.  For some reason, the English teachers were usually white ladies that didn't last.  I believe this lady is married to a prominent business guy, so she set up roots and stayed there.
    Another reason I thought it was weird Wife mentioned her is that I still remember a game where we were all put up against the wall and we had some sort of competition spelling wise, we just went around and around and we got random words.  Although I was the last guy, which was cool, I stumbled on "subtle", I had not heard the word before and I remember feeling like I had been stabbed because I was sure I was the best speller in that class and such a simple word took me out.  I don't know why, but that is one of those memories I can't forget, and it was supposed to be a game.  I was thinking deeply on it as I was dressing for work the day before.
    The teacher was very nice with Wife, she knows my mom and said something like "you're Mrs. Gallegos's daughter-in-law, which of her boys did you marry?  Wife said the oldest, and she remembered having me in her class, which I thought was pretty impressive.  Wife was in a stretch driving back from San Antonio and there are sections where the phone cuts in and out, but I am sure the exchange was something like "I knew that boy was something special, you must feel blessed to have married such an excellent human being."  I do love my ego stroked but Wife was in the car with a couple coworkers, I was not going to be demanding she repeat herself over and over (I'll wait until the weekend).
    It's a little weird with Wife working next to our old hometown, she is now in a higher position of authority than say one of my old math teachers, he moved over to the town she works in and she stopped by and said hi.  He also remembered me and also spoke nothing but glowing words, something like "If only everyone was like your husband, I swear that guy is one in a million.  I hope you cherish him every day."

No comments:

Post a Comment