Tuesday, October 4, 2016

10/4/16 What Good Are PTO Days If You Never Use Them?

    This is really a non-problem, more of a philosophical thought.  Wife is in a new role and I fully support her doing everything she needs to do to become great in her new capacity, but like anyone in any job, you do get a set amount of days to use to take time off, we call ours PTO, or Personal Time Off.  What is the harm in taking a day or two off here and there?  My folks were here this past weekend and my mom sort of took Wife's side describing that one gets so busy in the day to day shenanigans of dealing with things, that you need all the time in a given week, just to get everything needed done.
    I guess I can see that, but from my perspective, my greatest thought or worry coming back to work tonight (Monday) was how soon I could get online to finish watching the last few episodes of the third season of The Blacklist.  My work is much different than Wife's.  I don't have to deal with people, just samples, and like I've said, we've been slow most of the year.  I would consider taking days off or like we had planned I could run to Crystal on Thursday mornings, but Chubs came back to Austin, so we can't go nowhere when he has to go to school through Friday.  I'm not saying I need Wife or I miss her so much, but part of our planning when she took the job was in this long stretch, between September and November, she could maybe take a Friday here and a Monday there to increase the amount of time we hang out.
    Once we get to November, we see her very possibly on Halloween night and the day after for a conference, and that makes it a short work week, then two full weeks of work, then she gets a full week off to be up here with us for Thanksgiving break, then three full weeks of work, then it is two weeks off for Christmas.
    She's looked into it and whatever she has at the end of the year does not carry over.  The best she can do is cash out the days at like $75 a day.  I don't know that I like that deal, considering she makes quite a bit more than that per day.  I won't be happy unless she ends the year and only has one or two days left.
    We'll see, normally I don't believe in missing work either, but we are working in extreme conditions.  A couple days in October would be a fine start, if she can find the days to play hooky and not fall too far behind on her quest to be number 1 at everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment