Thursday, October 6, 2016

10/7/16 A New Obsession, Watches?

    I am just now discovering a world I did not even know existed.  I'm talking about becoming a horophile, or one who loves watches.  I have been learning from youtube videos and by reading and looking up different brands.  I used to think a Citizen or Bulova is what one wears day to day and when you have some success, maybe treat yourself to a Rolex.  Turns out Rolex isn't even the most expensive, or even have the highest ranking in quality.  There are brands I haven't even heard about yet, some are exclusive and only make a set amount of a given watch, some I just heard about and am trying to figure out how to even pronounce.  Be that as it may, I know I want one of each, if I can make it happen.
    The most elite brand as it appears from one list to another is Patek Philippe.  Founded in 1855, it makes some of the most complicated watches.  These watches go for as much as over a million dollars, but they do have some that start under $10,000.  A watch brand Boy loved when he saw recently was Breitling.  They specialize in aviator and diving watches.  Nowadays, most calculations on a plane are done by computer, but there was a time when a pilot had to have a trustworthy watch to figure things out.  These watches are more "affordable", starting in the upper $2000 range and up.  Boy also had mentioned the Omega watches, worn by the astronauts when they went to the moon.  These have a price from between $2000 to a max around $20,000.
    There are so many other brands, I have only scratched the surface.  Honestly, I don't even know where in Austin one would go and look for brands such as Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin, A. Lange & Sohne.  But after seeing them I can appreciate their beauty.  Not to mention there are "lower levels" of watches that are equally as nice.  For example, Tudor is a lower end watch brand supported by Rolex.  Their watches tend to cost as much as half as much, but still have the same look and style.
    I don't know how far I'll go down the rabbit hole, but I am entranced right now.  There was a time I was thinking I wanted a handful of Rolexes by the time I die, but with so many brands out there, it would be foolish to stick with one brand and not sample all the variety out there.  All I need is some money, and I'm ready to start buying.

No comments:

Post a Comment