Wednesday, September 9, 2015

9/9/15 I Like Being Alone?

    For the first half of the year, I had a kind of coworker here with me on nights.  We share our lab space with our founding company, a little strange but it does work.  Point being, I have been on nights for 18 of my 19 years, and for the last about four years was pretty much on my own.
    Then they threw in this guy.  He is actually alright, strung a little tight, but I'd like to believe I have given him cues to get along better with the people here on days.  He seems to be getting along with more and more people, so maybe my advice has worked out.  I, on the other hand, prefer my alone time.  I am writing this at roughly 3:30am and nobody is around to distract me.
    Not only did I have to tolerate the guy on my shift, we also just went through the summer, which means my kids had no good reason to be on any schedule.  Don't get me wrong, I love my boys, and my wife, but I do need a little solitary confinement, once in a while. 
    I think it is healthy to lay on the bed, and read a book for leisure, even watch a bad movie by yourself.  Where do your original thoughts come from if every moment is spent with somebody else by your side?  This too, of course, is necessary for a person to be well rounded, but I don't think people spend enough time alone.  Boy is usually in his room alone, but he has the computer on and will even be live chatting with a friend.  Chubs, though, does like alone time.  He has discovered Youtube and he spends hours looking at videos about video games he plays, or music.  I am always surprised when he starts singing along with the radio, like he knows the lyrics.  Wife sets herself up right next to me, no matter what we are doing.  Saturday, when the Longhorns were being kicked around she actually seemed interested: "why are they doing so badly?", "why do you think they suck?"  These are questions that require thought if you want an honest answer or a quick they suck because they suck.  I am thinking Swoopes got in because they were hoping he was a Vince Young type, he looks the part, at 6'5" and 240lbs.  An offensive line with two freshmen is also going to have a hard time. 
    I don't mind explaining this, but I am also sure Wife doesn't care that much about how well the Longhorns are doing.  If anything, I am happy to have my alone time at night at work.  I don't worry so much about writing these things, knowing I have until 6:00am before I see anybody on site.

No comments:

Post a Comment