Friday, September 4, 2015

9/5/15 Sextra Special? (book)

    Boy has now gotten in the habit of giving me books for my birthday.  I think I like this, see if he continues the tradition.  This year, he gave me this book I just read, Sextra Special, which is a collection of old corny jokes.  The other book was Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne.  One because I am a pervert, and the boy knows what I like, and the other because there are few things better looking than a bookshelf full of leather bound books.  I have bought a few myself and while the world converts to digital and tablets and such, I still prefer old smelly paper books.
    Sextra Special was published in 1953, so that gives the reader an indication of the times these jokes were used.  A lot of them are just dated by the fact that the man in power is taking advantage of his position.  There are plenty of jokes with doctors and their needing to examing young females, funny.  Then there are word play jokes, some aren't too bad, like this one:
                              She: "Do you think of me whenever you're away Darling?
                              He:   "Yes ,sweet, I always bare you in mind.
Cheesy and lame.  Yet, still has the naked theme.  There was a cartoon with a young seemingly attractive young blonde sitting in a tub on a phone, the caption reads:
                    "S'funny, Mr. Bennett, but I always thinkof you when I'm in hot water!"
I guess that's a double entendre, if Mr. Bennett is her lawyer, sshe must get in trouble a lot, though.
    There were a lot of jokes that were very subtle, such as:
                   "Did you hear about the girl that was so thin, that when she swallowed
                     the olive, three guys left town?"
I had to think about it, "oh yeah, that's how you avoided being the father, you left town..."
    I am much more used to jokes today, I like a good "that's what she said."  I love a picture with an obvious double entendre, such as the pool balls sitting in the triangle thingy and a "nice rack!" or even a male deer with a huge antler set-up, that also gets a "nice rack!"
    I guess our dirty jokes today still target the hotties we fantasize about, but no one is walking around with "oh yes, Mr Gallegos... you're so funny", it's more like "what you looking at, I have mace."  Maybe that's why the HR departments are all so big in the big companies, all the cartoons showed the older fatter men, basically taking advantage in every way, of the younger secretary type.
    Anyways, the book is good, as a historical source.  I can't qualify all the jokes as funny, but there were some that made me chuckle.  Thanks Boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment