Tuesday, September 22, 2015

9/22/15 How Do You Make Friends As A Grownup?

    This is a question Wife and I mull over once in a while.  Work seems like the obvious place to make friends since we have that in common, but Wife's coworkers work in Bastrop and that is a bit of a distance to come over.  Most of my coworkers are quite older than me, so I am not sure if that is an issue, I also am kind of a perv when I get drunk, so I prefer to keep my work and home life separate.
    We had perfect neighbors in our first home, but now that we moved, we find ourselves surrounded by conservatives and older people.  The best luck we had was when Boy joined football and suddenly we had all sorts of boys hanging out and with them came the assortment of single mamas prevalent in today's society.  I especially loved that.  Come on, I'd rather mingle with the female part of the couple.  Whenever there was a husband, he would be short of a vocabulary and focused on whatever football game played on TV.  Do people really watch games with that much intensity?  I was watching the Longhorns this weekend, but HGTV was also having some great episodes of living by the ocean and how much those houses can cost.  That was a little more interesting to me.  Anyway, Boy graduated and slowly all those mamas either moved on with new dudes, or the kids just stopped coming around.  I guess we were only conditionally friends with the parents if the kids were involved.  We haven't changed in any way we can tell.
    I have one guy friend who seems to just have gotten off that old shift of working every Friday and every other Saturday, so maybe we can start hanging out more.  Girlie has been my buddy the last few years but if anything, I am more of a mentor to her, not that she listens.  Our old neighbor insists on wanting to hang out, but when we do, it isn't like it was before.
    So is there a book where you can order more friends?  Does something like CL (craigslist) work?  There is a section there for "platonic" friends.  IDK, but we don't even bother sitting in hot tub anymore.  When it's just Wife and I, we'd rather watch TV in bed.  I am hoping it's just the humidity and heat keeping us from using the hot tub, guess we'll see how this fall plays out.
   

2 comments:

  1. Make friends, journal, track goals, share photos and hugs only on daily strength, your strength everyday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, but there is a shortage of people I interact with, mostly as I work nights. Today, for example, I woke up, saw Wife, Chubs, the cashier at the place we ate lunch, and my coworker was outside the building as I arrived. Nobody else is in the building, save an old guard or two, who I never see.

    ReplyDelete