Friday, September 18, 2015

9/18/15 Third Truck's The Ticket?

    I have now purchased three F-250 trucks.  You can say I have a type.  They have gradually been getting nicer, this one has to be the apex though.  I cannot imagine a nicer truck.
    My first F-250 I bought after we had bought our boat and I was contemplating buying an RV.  I considered myself lucky to find the 1999 white one at the time.  The super cab format was newish with its suicide doors facing the opposite direction, but there was a full bench the width of the truck.  We had many fun times with that truck.  I remember heading to the lake with our neighbors, before Chubs.  The three of us sitting in the front, Boy was 7 or 8, and our neighbors sitting in the backseat, all five could fit.  We were now officially "outdoorsy".
    My most embarrassing time happened on that truck though.  Most of our family had gotten together at the beach, which rarely happens nowadays, but we were having a great time, until it got time to leave.  I had the new big truck and I wanted to get going back to the hotel, beating everyone, cause why not I was in my 20's and dumb that way.  I got in the truck and started swaying forward and back, I couldn't move because we were all parked close to each other, and my Dad had blocked me.  By the time I was clear, I had made a hole on my one spinning tire.  We tried jumping on it, forward, reverse.  Nothing helped.  Eventually, a tiny Toyota 4x4 came by and pulled me out.  I never felt smaller.  I swore that day, I would not buy another truck without 4x4.  My family still makes fun of me over that.
    My second F-250 was more of an experiment and a rash decision.  I had been talking to my folks about buying the 99 F-250 from them and after saying they would, they drove it up.  I had sold it to my Dad while he was still working, we were hardly using it, and they needed a vehicle he could leave at the yard in Laredo while he was a truck driver, where he was gone all week.  Upon arriving in Austin, in the three hours on the road, my brother and sister talked them out of selling it to me, and they agreed even though they didn't use it anymore, and they now had two newer vehicles.  This pissed me off like I have rarely ever gotten at my parents, there was no clear reason why to "screw me over" other than my brother and sister said so.  They didn't want the truck.  I left the house upset, and came home with a 2008 F-250 King Ranch.  This was in 2010.  It had about 50,000 miles, but it looked new.  I loved that truck, but ended up trading it in when Boy would not drive it when it was time to get him a vehicle.  At this point, my folks finally sold me the 99 F-250, after it sat on their yard for a couple years rusting. 
    I never could get into driving it again though.  Once I tasted the nice life in that King Ranch, I needed a new one.  A few months ago, I sold it the 99 to my father in law, he is loving it.  I am sure it's because he has always driven Chevy, and finally tasted the power of Ford.
    After selling the old house, Wife kept repeating the phrase "we need a truck to tow our RV."  It finally got to me, but I told her, I'm not buying a half ass excuse for a truck.  If I buy one, it will be loaded.  Man, all I can say is it has options I didn't know existed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment