Tuesday, September 1, 2015

9/2/15 Favorite Is Defined By Your Options?

    I came in to work and my coworker from day-shift offered me cookies.  I am a weak weak man, of course, I said yes.  I had just a few minutes before brewed a new pot of coffee, so I poured some coffee and got ready for my sugar rush.
    I ate a couple before realizing what we were eating.  I asked her, this is the last of your Girl Scout Cookies, isn't it?  She said yes, although she said she had one more box of Thin Mints in her freezer.  A few months ago she was selling the cookies, for her granddaughter.  I bought a few boxes, I love those Caramel Delights, and the Lemon flavored ones.  When she was selling, she had this and that.  I told her, surprise me, just don't bring me those nasty Shortbread ones.  Fast forward to the end of the season, and guess which ones are just plain yummy.  Given that there is no choice, it is Shortbreads or nothing, they suddenly are the tastiest treat in town.  I ate almost half a box, before I finished my first cup of coffee.  If there were any other cookie choice, I would have been a snob and said feed the Shortbreads to the squirrels outside, BUT, now, screw you, squirrel!
    How about when we open a new bag of potato chips.  Isn't it grand to look inside and find that perfect round chip and just shove the whole thing in your mouth?  RRRRuuffffllleess have rrridges!!!  MMMMmm, is there a better treat?  But we work through the bag and the pieces get smaller.  Pretty soon we're dipping our fingers with potato chip crumbs, and then the ceremonial dumping of the bag into our mouths as we finish the dust.  What happened to that first bite, crunching like we wear a monocle and talk with an english accent?  The last few bites reveal our true animal, we're just raccoons trying to finish the bag.
    Same thing happens in my underwear drawer, I start out the week with my newest undies, black and fitting as they should.  I move to the grey, just as good.  Even though I own ten pair of good ones, eventually, at the end of the week, I am left choosing between the threadbare  ones that spend all their last days shoved in my ass crack, or the super short loose ones, that allow my gonads freedoms they should not experience.
    You tell yourself, never again, but a few days later, there we are, making the same decisions.  Part of life, I guess.  It can't be all Caramel Delights 24/7, that would become both best and worst cookie, if that is all we had.  We need to eat the chip dust to honor the whole potato, not just the parts that got lucky and settled on top, in the air lock.  Wear that shitty underwear, so your sack remembers how good it has it, the rest of the week.  We must have the good with the bad, it is how we appreciate life.

No comments:

Post a Comment