Sunday, September 13, 2015

9/14/15 Test Driving Some Fords?

    Picking up here from the yesterday, I woke and showered before the UT/Rice game, thinking "I'm gonna show Wife some cars online that I like."  This'll be a good way of watching game and distracting myself just a bit, if the Longhorns happen to suck again.  Wife was surprisingly ready to go see the cars live, I tried the "they close at 6:00pm" routine, she was sure 9:00pm, we were on website, correct time was 8:00pm.  Off we went at 6:45pm.  We talked about using some of that money in our savings to use as down payment, so now we were ready, with our checkbook in hand.
    Upon arriving, we parked in the front of Maxwell Ford, which appears to be undergoing a facelift/upgrade of some kind.  I know they just send  random employees out, but I want to buy my car from a dude who knows and talks cars.  There was an older lady in a Ford shirt, I am not buying a car from grandma, sorry.  I know that makes me sound like a dick, but I ask a bunch of questions and I expect my guy to know stuff off the top of his head.  I told Wife "walk fast, let's shake grandma."  I took off to the front where the cars are under the blue canopy, then told Wife "come on, ass in gear, the cars are in the back."  Of course, now we were back in the middle of hundreds of cars with no "dude", but they always find you.
    They sent the perfect guy, a husky guy who understood my needs.  I wanted to test drive the Taurus SHO, because it's kind of a hotrod hidden as a family sedan.  While we were looking, Wife was still "I don't want a car, I want an SUV." Then we walked past a hybrid Fusion which I wasn't familar with because it isn't that good looking, but 44mpg did catch both our eyes.  This then became the car she wanted to test drive.  We test drove it, and man, cars have only gotten nicer and lower to the ground.  I bumped my head getting in, no big deal, once in, I was more or less fine.  Except I couldn't find anything intuitively.  I couldn't figure out the telescoping steering wheel, the controls to move the mirrors, meanwhile the guy turns on the greatest thing cars have introduced in the last twenty years, A/C directly for the ass.  Oh wow, after driving a couple miles, I felt a sensation of cold air in the seat where the bottom and back meet.  He explained how the fan blows air between the butt and lower back, that is just genius.  I didn't know what to think of the car.  It had a four cylinder engine and the electric engine, I guess.  It hauled ass when I floored it, there was no hesitation.
    My head tells me a big car should have a big V8, but these new engines are kicking ass and saving a ton on gas.  The Taurus was next and it only had a V6, but he said that was their racing platform engine, it was the same engine as on the Raptors and the newest Mustangs.  This car was beautiful, black with black interior leather and suede everywhere, and even black rims to complete the package, I remember when Ford was nothing but Crown Victorias and other long ugly land sharks.  The Taurus is a sexy big car.  Of course, I start talking price and the reason I even contemplate driving it is that with all the rebates, it is on sale for roughly $35000.  The guy says it is rare to get all the rebates, but Ill see what I can do.  See?  If you can post a sales price of $35000, you should be able to let the car go at $35000.  I wanted to hear price come down actually to $32000, then we could get serious, plus I noticed their financing is currently up to 0% for 72 months.  Of couse, Mr. Destroyer of Dreams says it is either or, not both.  If we want 72 months at 0%, the car has a sales price of like $45000 before rebates.  I call Bullshit!!!
    I have said I am not opposed to buying used, specially with all the great incentives they offer, like the certified used, which gives the buyer a warranty to make you feel comfortable about your purchase.  By the time we got to the used car lot, it was after 8:00pm and they were technically closed.  We liked a couple cars, but I feel we ultimately will just end up buying a truck, I hate hitting my head on all these low entry height cars.
    We then ended the night with a nice steak dinner at Longhorn Steakhouse, just delicious, and at 5:00am on Saturday night/Sunday morning, I still don't know the score to the UT game, I should watch it, but I feel it will bite me in the ass, if Wife gets up and needs to go somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment