Saturday, May 8, 2021

5/9/21 50th Anniversary?

     It took a little bit, but we got to celebrate our parent's 50th Anniversary today in San Antonio at a pretty nice restaurant.  We have eaten at the Brazilian restaurant in Austin a few times and it is always a festival of meat and because of the price, we consider it a fancy sort of dinner.  When deciding on what and where to eat for the event, my sister took the lead and suggested Chama Gaucha, one of the Brazilian restaurants in San Antonio.  I was unsure what to expect since Boy and Wife have eaten at some of the other ones there for work and with friends and both were unimpressed with that restaurant.  I am happy to say that the restaurant was very good and left us all with full bellies and some happy memories with both our parents in very good spirits after.

    We had scheduled this dinner for last weekend, but then we had the pair of funerals to get through and it just didn't seem right to be celebrating at that time.  It was a good idea to schedule it for this weekend, the weather was mild and favorable for the trip.  We left the house at 1:45pm, knowing the meal was scheduled for 3:30pm.  Wife did tell me as we were leaving that she had gotten an email saying that loop 1604 at hwy281 was going to be shut down to the feeder lanes only, so I thought it would be smart to avoid driving that way and go around that intersection.  We drove to 410, then to I-10 and finally on 1604 around from the other side.  It got a little stressful because my parents arrived there about 40 minutes early and I guess they went to check on the table at that point.  When they first called us that they were there, we were barely in New Braunfels, so we had to hustle and things got a little stressed.  We would have been there with 20 minutes to spare if it had been a straight shot without any delays, but traffic absolutely sucks almost any time of day on I-35.  We were in a complete stop in San Marcos, then there is construction before the Buc-ee's and we had another complete stop in San Antonio, so we lost a lot of time, not to mention going all the way around like we did.

    The meal itself was as good as the one in Austin.  We started with a salad bar which had a bunch of different offerings, then it was on to the meats.  I do not like the new move of them bringing soda by the can instead of from a fountain, Covid shmovid, it's just another money grab as each soda is sold separately and I could drink 4 or more if you just keep refilling my glass, normally.  I kept it to two cans, and some water, but then I also had a coffee with the cake Wife was so thoughtful in getting.  It was a simple cake but it was perfect with its creamy frosting and a touch of raspberry filling.

    We topped off the afternoon with plenty of family pictures, something we should do more of but we hardly ever think of, I guess with our modern phones we don't really have a good excuse since we are all armed with a good camera at all times.  Still, I believe my parents loved the effort and experience of having all of us get together just to celebrate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment