Sunday, May 2, 2021

5/2/21 Missing So Much Work This Year?

     I had never missed this much work in one year as I have this one.  It started out harmlessly enough, I have in the last few years been taking the weeks of Christmas and New Year's off, and since most of our customers either slow down or shut down, it kind of works out, work doesn't really pile up.  After this much needed break, I ended up getting Covid-19 in January.  I had maybe worked two weeks and I found myself having to quarantine for 14 days.  I was technically home and not working but I wouldn't count it as a vacation being locked up in my room alone for the two weeks.  It is all kind of becoming a blur, but I believe I again worked for about two weeks and then we got the week long freeze that shut the state down for a week.  This now feels like a long time ago seeing the green trees outside and beautiful sunny blue skies but it was only about two months ago.  I then maybe worked for three weeks and then we hit Spring Break which I felt guilty for asking for the time off, but it isn't very frequent when Wife has time away from work and we can do stuff.  It also felt like a two week break because she was off the week before Baby A and came to the house, then our son was off the following week and she took another three days off which is when we went to Corpus Christi for like four days.  That was our first "official" vacation trip since Covid-19 started.

    After Spring Break I figured we would be back to normal and I would go a few months before thinking about missing but then we had the whole wrestling thing taking Mijo to the state meet in Houston and we followed causing me to miss Thursday last week.  I mean that has to be the last of it or so it would seem, but no.  While we were "getting away" on another mini vacation enjoying a pretty nice suite mom called with not one but two deaths in the family.  These are not things we can just ignore and hope they go away, this is when families have to come together.  I thought of not going to my sister's mother in law's funeral, I didn't know her well, but I also know my sister would appreciate to see us there even if in the background offering our condolences and support of being there in town.  Right now it is Sunday and we are in our home in Austin, we drove up Friday afternoon, but we are on our way down tonight for the second funeral, my dad's older brother passed away to cancer last week but the funeral home was too busy that he had to wait, the viewing is Monday and the funeral is on Tuesday at noon.

    I will be back to work on Wednesday night, hopefully, I can string a series of weeks and maybe months where I can be a good employee and not miss anymore, but given this year and how it has been, I don't know anymore.  The good thing is a couple years ago, our management came up with the genius idea of unlimited personal time off (PTO), so at least until they get tired of the BS, we should get paid a complete check even if we are out like I have been.  I have been with these people over twenty years, they know I don't habitually miss, but I am starting to feel guilty about so many absences.

No comments:

Post a Comment