Monday, May 17, 2021

5/17/21 Starting Again?

     I know we do it all the time, but the last time we earnestly went on a diet I managed to lose around 80 pounds.  Maybe I have gained half back in the last five months but this seems like a good time to start life with new habits.  I had a good talk with Wife and she agreed she would be into it.  I think that is why it worked so well last year, we were both doing it and being honest about our gains and losses.  We just fell off when we got to the holidays because of one miss-step after another.  No more excuses.

    For starters, I am really bothered that Baby A suddenly is the strong man in the house.  When we were driving back from Houston we stopped at a brisket place in Bastrop and had an otherwise great meal on some big picnic table setup like most of these brisket places have.  After we finished eating, Mijo was sitting across from me and suggested an arm wrestling contest and he beat me embarrassingly bad.  I felt like I had no strength in my arm to even prevent him from slamming my arm and watch on the table.  That was a wake up call, if anything.  After that, we had been scrambling with so many issues and not been home, but I have finished moving furniture around and cleaning for Wife, she is now home and that marks another great time to start with better habits than frozen pizzas and take out every night.

    We talked about it and I went and did the shopping before she even got up yesterday morning (Sunday).  I bought only meat and good vegetables, I hardly got anything else from the middle of the store except for some cans of beans, broth (to slow cook a brisket half, and some green salsa to slow cook some pork butt.  I will be handling most of the cooking duties, so there will be no excuses for meals with carbs, I can only blame myself.  This morning, after Wife left for her first day of work in San Antonio I followed behind her throwing away the half of cake and cupcakes still leftover from the weekend.  I end up eating all that crap, so I decided it was better to just chuck it.

    So far so good, I ate some low carb toast with peanut butter and low carb jelly with my coffee.  For lunch, I made some tacos with our low carb tortillas and leftover meat from our BBQ last night.  I am taking out the pork butt to slow cook tomorrow, so food wise, we are good.  I also started putting the weight room to good use as I worked out for the first time in about a year.  I will be real sore tomorrow, but hopefully, the soreness is gone by the end of the week and I can start feeling strong again.  I accept Mijo is going to be stronger than me (the little shit is already squatting 500 pounds at school), but I have to at least put up some effort in my old age.

No comments:

Post a Comment