Tuesday, May 25, 2021

5/26/21 Who Else Is Real?

     We tried sitting down and watching Bliss this past Sunday but it just seemed too hokey to stay with the whole thing.  In the movie, Greg (played by Owen Wilson) is having a bit of a hard time going through divorce, when he meets Isabel (Selma Hayek), a know it all gypsy looking chick living on the streets but in a proud "this is my castle" vibe that screams either nuts or imaginary.  We saw about the first 45 minutes to maybe an hour, but it just seemed too far fetch to stay with it.  When they meet, Isabel is a little frustrated she can't control Greg with the wave of her hand.  This is some sort of test to determine to her, that Greg is a "real" person.  We have seen this type of set up where only the main characters are real and I just see it as kind of a juvenile mentality, to think that only you and those around you are important enough to be "real".

    They did the same thing in The Matrix, where most of the people were living a simulated life and the agents could take control of any body at any point.  If we must be real, I used to think like this when I was young, that people just kind of froze and waited to move and react when I was around.  That has to be some kind of child ego thing, thinking the world revolves around you.  So for Isabel to proclaim that everyone around her was not "real", it just kind of turned me off.  We did not stay to watch the end of the movie, so I can't say if things got better, but she was teaching Greg how to control the environment around them by just willing it.  They are then out on a skating date and with the collective powers, they are making everybody fall and be embarrassed, if they deserve it, such as the two idiots running around showing off and groping the other girls.

    It is really a complicated world where everyone is carrying on with their important part to add to the world.  It is only when we let people into our lives that we see how intricate and beautiful other people's actions might be compared to what you do.  Not to say it is beautiful, but every night when I cut through Southpark Meadows and see so many people engaged in commerce or just hanging in the bars and restaurants kind of reminds me we are not alone.  The way the past year has been, I think we can get confused and forget that we are here for and because of others.  Living for just yourself to me seems kind of selfish, knowing how much I might have to give others.  It is only natural that it must be the same from the other side where people I haven't met yet have a lot to offer me, if I will only let them in.

No comments:

Post a Comment