Saturday, June 8, 2019

6/8/19 The Art Of The Thank You Note?

    I got a thank you note yesterday from my cousin for going to his graduation and the gifts we gave him.  I thought this was very cool of him, nowadays this seems to be something becoming a bit of a rarity.  I especially liked that "my words" had stayed with him longer than the meal and I had given him something good to reflect upon.  Other than giving him a nice leather bound Holy Bible and a $50 gift card to Best Buy, I also added a personal note on my thoughts of what graduation has meant to me and hopefully it eventually means to him.
    I find it interesting that this cousin and the older brother have grown up around us all their lives but have never gotten into the whole competitive "dick-ish" qualities that me and my siblings thrive in.  They are both genuinely nice guys if we had to use one word to define them.  His plan is to stay in school, and I don't know if that means at UTSA or if he is applying at other schools farther away.
    Back to the note, it was better to me that it was a traditional paper and pen.  He could've opted for a quickie text, but I wouldn't have thought much of that.
    When is a thank you note appropriate?  I think one is appropriate if the people coming to your event have to dress nicer than normal, such as graduations and weddings.  For me, it meant I had to find my one pant that fits as I rarely even wear pants.  I am in shorts 99% of the time.  And usually even if we go with our regular pants, we will probably still go get new shirts and my boys will definitely be wearing new clothes since they are my favorite accessories.  So, yes, if I am expected to be a cool family member going to your event, and I had to get the whole family into nice new outfits, then yes, I expect and appreciate a hand written letter.  Thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment