Thursday, June 13, 2019

6/13/19 The Homeless Are People, But Gassing Up At Night Is Still Sketchy?

    After seeing Sgt Will Gardner on Netflix I was having second thoughts about the homeless population.  They may seem a scary bunch but it isn't entirely their fault that they are living in the conditions and manner they are living in.  I was even thinking how it might be cool to befriend one of these guys unlike in the movies and treat them compassionately and pay them to cut the lawn or whatever other odd jobs I could come up with, but then I end up running low on gas and deciding I should stop for gas at 2:30am at one of the area gas stations and forget that!
    It is slightly intimidating if you have to actually go in the store part of the gas station.  Luckily, I can pay at the pump and generally stay by my car in case things get screwy.  I stopped at the Shell over by the Home Depot, which is a gas station I never use because I always fill up on the way home, not on the way to work, but since the little light came on and the Excursion is such a gas guzzler, I didn't want to make the ~16 mile trip with the remaining gas.  At that hour, the Shell was about the only place open.  I pulled in and it is nice that they have a bunch of pumps, so I didn't have to wait, so I parked and scanned the area for anything too scary to get off, then I went for it.
    I ran my card and started the gas pumping because I really needed at least a few gallons to get me on my way.  Once it started pumping, I scanned the area more slowly and I did not like what I saw.  There were at least three bums by the doors not doing much but sitting there.  I half expected one of them to come up and do their story of needing gas money, but luckily, they stayed where they were.
    There was one guy that looked to be on his last legs and was just kind of waiting to die, maybe in his 60's, maybe younger, he was to the right of the door.  To the left was a much younger dude sitting again on the floor and a I would say 20 year old sitting on the trash can just loitering.  It was a nice night, unless they are like moths and attracted to the light, I say someone should shoo them away.  They were at best loitering, at worst, waiting for a victim to show up and harass.
    I know that after seeing the movie and the military men that are left homeless, we should have more compassion, but not at night, and not at the risk of my safety.  There are just too many of these homeless guys in this area and at least they should be removed from the premises of businesses, to make it easier to shop there.  I know that probably 95% of these bums are harmless, other than their hand sticking out asking for loose change, I still don't like it and in the middle of the night, it is still a little aggressive on their part.

No comments:

Post a Comment