Friday, June 14, 2019

6/14/19 Is My Four Day Weekend Really A Good Deal?

    I have thought about it now for awhile about getting off this roller coaster of a lifestyle and go more normal, maybe even doing a shift where I work Monday through Friday.  It was coincidental then, that my old lifting partner at work showed up early Wednesday and we talked for a good while.  It was like he was reading my mind, and maybe that is because he says he has read these from time to time.  Anyways, he was suggesting that I should first fight to become exempt that way my salary won't change no matter what days I work.  I hadn't thought of that, because currently I work more hours the long week which gives me a few overtime hours on the long weeks.  I had not figured that management would go along with that, which he says management should consider themselves lucky that I still work nights and should be trying to keep me happy since I am able to do more than anybody because I have whole access to the lab and there is nobody from the other company during my shifts.
    I was pushing back while talking to him because I keep thinking I enjoy this long weekend I get every other week, but do I?  This Thursday that passed was pretty much like this:  I got home and insisted I felt great, so I made coffee and sat at the table to watch some YouTube and enjoy some pan dulce which Wife bought the night before.  Before I knew it, I had fallen asleep on the chair for maybe an hour.  I went and laid down at 9:30am in bed.  I got up at 1:00pm and offered Javalina lunch which again, Wife was in town the night before and she went to the store.  I asked her to get me some meat to cook for lunch and she got some steak strips.  I made some frozen bags of broccoli and cheese and some cauliflower rice that smelled like farts when I opened the bag.  After eating and determining it was too hot to do anything else, I sat on the chair and probably slept another hour or two.  At 5:00pm, I decided I should go lay down awhile which I did in the guest room.  I stayed down for an hour or so.  I was up again at 6:30 calling Wife to see what time she would get here.  She called back at 7:00pm that she had just gotten on I-35.  I sat in the kitchen trying to write and looking at bad videos on youtube.  I finally got up at 8:40pm, went and mingled with the boys knowing Wife would get here any minute, peed and washed my face and teeth.  Wife was coming in hungry, so we had to figure where to go eat dinner.
    I felt like some pancakes, so I chose IHOP and luckily, it was fairly empty.  Dinner was good and afterwards I was able to complain to them about the blog from the night before about all the homeless on that Shell gas station as they were starting to congregate on the side of the building at 11:00pm.  Funny enough, everyone had a "bum" story, from Boy working downtown, to his GF working HEB, to Wife hearing stuff on the radio from San Antonio.
We got home, Wife tried watching some TV and I laid with her for awhile, but she was tired and I don't blame her, she went to the bathroom and I was out before she came back, but as usual, I woke up at 2:30am and here I am still writing this at 3:15am.
    I am not sure, but my coworker who was on nights for about 3-4 years says going to an 8 hour M-F shift is nothing.  He says I could do an 8 hour shift on 4 hours sleep and have the rest of the day to sleep and have more of a normal life.  All I know is that what I am doing right now is not normal, but I don't see a reason to get normal until Wife gets her big butt back to Austin.  I might lose Thursday to my zombie feelings, but Friday through Sunday can be more productive, sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment