Thursday, June 27, 2019

6/27/19 Are Millenials Smarter Than Us, Or Lazier?

    I currently have what I guess are three millennials in the house, Boy, Girlie, and her BF.  I have noticed that being to work at a certain time is just a suggestion for these guys.  Whereas Wife and I always worried about being late and never mind the idea of missing work to take a personal day.  I have talked myself into several start times over the years.  When I started and I was in the fab, I had to be in by 6:45, to be ready to start at 7:00pm or am, depending on the shift.  When I got out of the fab and went to the lab I was told 5:30pm would work.  This allowed for passdown and to really interact with dayshift to learn anything that might be new.  Wife has also always had a standing start time, and maybe it is because we work in big companies.
    Boy, who works for a small start-up says even if he shows up at 8:00am which he did and does occasionally, that most of the people don't show up until 10:00pm and then work late or work from home.  Girlie has told me that her start time is 7:30am, but routinely I get home and she is still asleep or at least sitting in a dark room.  She also seems to miss about once every two weeks because she doesn't feel well.  Her line is that she can make up the time on the weekends, but I rarely see her rushing off to work on a weekend.  Her BF just started and he was telling me his boss talked to him about expecting him there at 6:30am to help with something or other.  I got home one of the days this week and he came downstairs around 8:15am.  I asked him if he was off or sick.  He said he didn't sleep well, so he called in that he was going to be a couple hours late.  I have come to work and started my shift by throwing up and these babies won't even go to work if they don't feel at least 90% well.
    I honestly don't care what they decide to do, I just don't want to hear excuses that I don't have money to pay the rent when I see shenanigans like this going on.  Am I a good employee or a well trained dog?  Are they the smart ones making sure they are of sound mind and body before going off to work for the man?  Or are they shitty employees who should have been let go?

No comments:

Post a Comment