Saturday, June 22, 2019

6/22/19 Men In Black: International? (Movie)

    I was excited to see the new MIB movie, even knowing it was going to be a whole new cast.  I am a fan of Tessa Thompson who has recently played Valkyrie on the Avengers movies with Hemsworth, who has been playing Thor the last few years.  Those are two familiar faces from a winning franchise, what could go wrong?  Add in a cute character from a literal chess board game (a pawn, so let's name him...Pawny) and wait for the hundreds of millions to come in.  I don't know about that!!
    Something was missing but I don't know what.  It was shot beautifully, every scene was full of color and brilliance, every gun was bigger than the last, the bad guys were almost too cool, working in unison.  I think the problem was there was no heart, nothing that made us think these characters were somebody we could care for.  As agent M said, I am your perfect candidate, I have no life, no bonds, nothing keeping me attached to anyone.
    By now, we know how MIB works.  They spot a potential candidate and then go and recruit him to work as an anonymous agent.  Thompson plays Molly, who we are shown a flashback to when she was young runs into an alien in her house.  The MIB of the day show up and erase the parent's memory of it, but not of hers.  She then grows up obsessed with trying to find what organization takes care of aliens.  She is working on being a cop, but she wants the job with the highest clearance, marking a box of her own creation on the top of every job application she goes for.  Eventually, she finds the headquarters of MIB and seems to break in only to get caught but just as her memory is going to be erased she cries for them not to, that she saw them do it to her parents when she was young.
    Of course she gets in after a multitude of tests and we got through with her in awe of the offices in Europe and the same joke of the aliens they keep track of on earth, such as the Kardashians or whoever it was on their screens.  At this point I kind of faded, their was a storyline I guess, some alien got killed, others were accused, there was a mole in MIB, and yet, I snored, Javalina glared at me, Wife punched me in the ribs.
    Near the end it went full circle, Molly met an alien from her past, you knew she would and that saved them, for a bit, then of course, they saved the world.  All the parts to a great summer blockbuster were there, it just wasn't enough to keep me awake, I really wanted to like it, I napped for an hour before, it just wasn't enough, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment