Monday, June 3, 2019

6/3/19 Pyrex Goes Poof?

    I had already labeled Sunday a relaxing day and my plan was to do as little as possible.  We went to bed a little late and I did manage to sleep until 10:30am, but got up mostly because Wife wanted to feed the kids before they left from the sleepover.  I started the bag of hash browns and eventually added the sausage meat all shredded up.  While I did all that, Wife started a crock pot full of homemade beans, and then she prepped our small brisket for the evening.  She did it like she always does, luckily.  She puts a bunch of spices and stuff on the meat, then wraps it with foil.  She placed it in our Pyrex glass pan and put it in the oven with about a half inch of water all around.  Everything was going great, we ate tacos, the kids got picked up, I was writing and Wife was reading for work and stuff, she is always Miss Busy.  I then got the urge to go shower and stuff and about 10 minutes later while I was washing my head, Javalina comes in to say that the dish holding the brisket just broke and that I had to go help clean it.  Umm, why do I need to always be involved in clean up?  I said I'd be down in a minute, but she better not throw away my brisket.
    I came down to the oven being completely cleaned by Wife.  She had my shop vacuum and was about halfway inside the oven.  It would have been the perfect time to take out a bruja the ole oven way.
    The glass shards made it all the way down into the warming tray way below where people normally store pans and crap.  Everything had to come out and get washed before Wife would be satisfied with the cleaning.  After all the cleaning she looked at the brisket and was thinking about throwing it away.  I said nope, I don't think so.  I will take the chance with a couple of pieces of glass and eat that big hunk of meat, alone If I have to.
    My question is why do we even have a glass pan?  I know Pyrex is made specifically for heating but it is still glass and all glass will eventually break.  We use Pyrex glass in our lab, but we don't have a choice there because some chemicals react with plastic ware and some will "etch" the glassware.  The best way to avoid this problem would be just use a metal pan, which we have some.  Wife always buys an extra foil disposable pan for cooking turkeys, so after she was satisfied the foil was not breached by glass, she moved the turkey over and continued cooking.
    Dinner was awesome.  It had been a long time since she had made homemade beans and they tasted so good, with an almost buttery aftertaste.  The brisket with just a hint of BBQ sauce was also melt in your mouth good.  I never care for the rice, but man, that was a good dinner and a lesson.  I will go hunting for a new deep pan to replace the just broken glass one, but I will be looking for metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment