Wednesday, June 19, 2019

6/19/19 Javalina Is Getting It Done?

    I have a few goals for Javalina this summer, based on what he  keeps saying he wants to do.  I would never push him for my benefit, but if he is going to insist that he will make the varsity team and he is one of the strongest kids in school, I at least want him to be able to back his words up.  He has been quietly working out, not as aggressively as he could but he is doing bench presses and even squats kind of regularly.  It is kind of funny, to me he is just my young kid, but I was talking to my neighbor, he was complaining about our trash cans and stuff, no big deal, but it was Father's Day and he asked how it was going being a father to the two boys.  I told him about Javalina lifting and he started that he almost didn't recognize him.  He remembers him being a chubby little kid and now he walks around all chest and shoulders out, trying to look big and strong.  I thought perfect, that is what we're going for.
    The biggest gain this week was I was spotting him on the bench and he was stuck on the 35 pound plates which is fine, but he was doing as many as 15 reps, based on Girlie's BF workout plan.  I understand where he is coming from, as he volunteered to help with the workouts.  He is lean and strong and tall, so I am sure it makes sense to lift weights focusing on that.  I want him to get thicker so that means less reps with more weight.  I told him it was time to make the jump to the 45 pound plates, which is just 20 pounds total more, but it also is a new world.  To me, this was kind of a must goal, so he could walk into any gym full of highly charged boys and he could do the minimum of what I would call real lifting.  He still has about two more months to see how far he can go.  If I can help it, I want to see him get to at least 200 pounds.  I want him to catch the attention of the older guys so they want to help him along.  He has to get halfway there, so they can see he is serious about it.
    It shouldn't take long for him to also be squatting with this weight, then go past it a lot quicker since leg muscles respond really well to exercise.  We also need to make it outside and mark up where 40 yards are at in the green belt.  He wants to run to increase his speed, which I think is the next most important thing, all this is just getting me excited to see what team he ends up on and for football to start, I love the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment