Sunday, January 6, 2019

1/6/19 Bumping Into The Past?

    I ran into my old roommate this week while staying in the hospital with my dad.  It was a little strange, I am not a fan of surprise encounters like that.  But, like it or not, he was the physical therapist on hand, Saturday morning, so there we were.
    It was weird in that I had just helped the nurse get my dad through a shower and even a shave.  I had just walked back into the shower to pick up my dad's stuff and I could hear a loud voice down the hall.  I thought "that's a doctor or some other obnoxious a-hole, using his outside voice inside, talking about the Cowboys and going on and on about nothing.  A few seconds later, I heard the voice talking to my dad and I was wondering who? and what?  He was asking if he remembered him and he seemed happy to see my dad.  When I stepped out, he quickly said "well this guy will remember me."  I was still "no, I have a pretty good memory of forgetting people," I thought.  When he turned and face me, yes, his face was older and fuller, but yes, I placed him immediately.  Whatever problems we had in the past, I put them aside as I hugged him and told him it was good to see him.
    He was moving and talking fast.  He was there to give my dad some physical therapy and I am sure he had a ton of other people to do the same type of thing.  He used a walker and a portable oxygen tank, strapped my dad around the waist with a fat strap (something to grab him with, if need be).  It was great to see my dad walk around with no problems.  The walker was in case he had trouble, but I didn't see any.  The PT didn't think my dad would have a problem walking once his strength is back, if anything maybe a walking stick, like a stick Gandalf used.
    Once my dad was done, the PT was about ready to get going, we said our goodbyes, I told him it was great to see him and that all that weird energy from the past just seemed silly once I saw him.  He said "yeah, it is all water under the bridge, it has been great to see you, say hi to your Wife, and tell her you have a beautiful family."  It felt good to say all that, I am not a person who can hold a grudge and hate anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment