Sunday, January 20, 2019

1/20/19 I Love Me Some Free Salt Lick?

    I freaking love Salt Lick, the restaurant.  It was first introduced to me by a great guy who was one of the technicians who repaired the tools in etch when I started.  We went out and played some frisbee golf and then he took me and another guy, maybe my brother, to eat there.  This was back in 1997 or 98 and man..., it wasn't even as big as it has gotten, but the BBQ was great.  Nothing about it is easy, so it must be great to keep going.  First off, it is like 30 minutes out of the city.  I remember my brother yelling at me one time he was following us when we went out there to eat and he snaps when we got there about being a "fucking show off and taking all these back roads."  I think his car was the first with navigation and he figured out how to get there through Buda which was five minutes closer or something, but anyways.  We have taken the family out there a couple times as it is a thing to do in Austin and it is generally nice to be out there on any given afternoon.  They will have some small live music act, there is a little playground for the kids, and it is nice to be outside the city.
    We usually have to wait anywhere from 10 minutes to one time we had a two hour wait, which again, we had live music and the place just gets packed, so it is what it is.  Friday night was light and we walked straight in.  This was nice, it was already after 8:00pm and they close at 10:00pm.  Javalina had his wallet and he thought he had it all under control.  We had talked about getting waters, but we always do and then he orders a sweet tea everywhere we go, so I thought I would teach him, and I ordered a Diet Dr. Pepper.  He looked at the menu and was shocked by the $2.50.  He put his little mitt out and said I owed him $2.50 as the waitress headed off to get our drinks.  Now somewhere along the way, he says I confused him.  I told him if he pays at Pappadeaux, he has to consider that we will order 1 or 2 appetizers at $25 each and then the plates cost over $20 each, or we can eat All you can eat at Salt Lick for $25 a plate.  What is confusing so far?
    We ate our fill, we stayed away from the beans and I got a small spoonful of potato salad, and only ate two slices of their delicious bread when I can normally eat 8-9 slices.  Javalina ate, but I have seen him eat more before, but I guess he is really serious about losing the baby fat.  We went through about 4 of those plates that they bring of meat before we said no more and then we got the check.
    Javalina had a mini heart attack as he looked over the check.  He somehow got confused and thought when I said $25 a plate, it meant the one they bring with meat or something as he was expecting all of us to eat for about $25.  He couldn't believe we pay that much to eat there, and then we explained "why do you think we only eat there like every 2-3 months?"  If it was $25 for the whole family, we would be there every week, then Wife added, yeah it would be full of families all the time as that is a lot of food.  I guess he is used to Bill Miller and Taco Bell being about $20 when we eat after school.  I said that is why we eat at those cheap places during the week, when we did.  Any good place is going to get the bill up near $100 for us.  We thought it was funny as he walked out of there complaining of the cost of my soda, even as I kept reminding him that I had given him my last $2 from my wallet.  I even reminded him that he got a deal as he had promised to take us out to eat and then the meal was covering me buying him that table for jumping, so he was getting a two for one deal.  It still hurt him, even though he doesn't spend his money on anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment