Sunday, January 13, 2019

1/14/19 Pocket Full Of Pain?

    Javalina has been complaining of pain in his right side of his mouth.  I immediately thought "dammit, this is going to cost a fortune."  I mean, why not, we are just getting out from all the bills incurred from Boy's Typhus episode and before that my leg operation expenses.  It just seems right that another medical procedure show up and give my wallet a good raping.
    For about a week, Javalina has been enduring moderate to severe pain that comes and goes completely.  Given that, Wife still tried to make an appointment right away last weekend, but nobody answers the phones on a Sunday, so it took a little while longer.  Friday, after we came home from eating breakfast and going to HEB, she got on the phone for about an hour and was able to get an emergency visit on a Saturday morning at 10:00am, the next day.
    This, of course, meant that when we picked him up, he was going to be ornery and boy, he did not disappoint.  Every question was met with "OMG, My Tooth Hurts, I Don't Care!".  Luckily, Mama carries some aspirin in her Witches pouch (purse), and quickly gave him some which calmed the savage beast down some.  He was feeling better when we got home, that he was forcing me to work out, so ok, I got into it.  I think this may have gotten the pain going again, as it wasn't too long after that he was complaining about the pain in an aggressive but help me kind of way.  We gave him ibuprofen, aspirin, and Wife even tried a hydrocodone dose on him and nothing stopped the pain for more than an hour.  I asked him about when he goes to bed, how has he been dealing, he said when he gets to bed, the pain just seems to disappear.  I then told him well, go lie down on the sofa, we can watch TV over there.  It seemed to work, at least to get us thru the night.
    Saturday morning, I was up at 8:00am, wrote the blog for the day, and then got ready to take him to the dentist.  He wasn't in too much pain, which was good for us, but it also made it hard for the dentist to determine what the problem was.  She poked and prodded him, she made him bite down on cigar shaped cotton things, but to my surprise found nothing wrong with his teeth.  She determined that the pain was his 2nd molar that is partially exposed.  There is still gum covering the back of the tooth, and the wisdom teeth appear to be coming in pointed at the 2nd molar which in turn is pushing the skin up over the 2nd molar and creating a pocket which can get filled with food residue.  She gave it a light scraping/cleaning and she got some nasty stuff out from under there.  She then gave him some tips on cleaning his teeth, flossing, and even using the toothbrush with his other hand to get under the pocket easier.
    I kind of thought it was a waste of time as she didn't cut or fill anything, but the child has been pleasant since then, so maybe like Wife said, he got a piece of peanut stuck in there and now it is out.  Either way, at least my wallet did a wipe of the brow and said whew! as we were only charged $36 for the co-payment.

No comments:

Post a Comment