Saturday, January 5, 2019

1/5/19 Standing Sentry Over Our Senor?

    I am writing this right at midnight, and believe me, I have earned my dollar already.  Mom called me yesterday afternoon to see if I would stay with my dad overnight.  This would give her a chance to go home and shower and get more clothes.  Because he has lost a lot of strength from having pneumonia, he is having trouble walking, so PT wants him walking before he leaves.  I guess mom thought she might be here longer than this Sunday when they said originally he would be let out.
    We got here around 6:00pm, and I walked in to him finishing his dinner, saying it sucked and he was going to lay down even though he was on the opposite side of the bed.  Someone had moved his IV over to the side by the window, but he has been getting up and off on the other side, so he was on the move and I hadn't even put my laptop down.  I stopped him as he fought his head, like an old catfish fighting a trot line, he had the oxygen tube around his head and it was pulled taut.  Along with that, he had the IV drip on the little tree thing and he was expecting it to follow him as he walked, holding on to the bed.  I was able to get him the rest of the way there, he would've by himself, but he might've lost the IV on the way.
    Wife had something going on with her family, she dropped me off and took off like a bullet.  She was going to meet most of her family for dinner was about all I know.  Javalina is not comfortable here in the hospital, I was trying to convince him to stay here, so I wouldn't be alone, but he was having nothing with it.  Wife was ready to stay, and I know by the morning it would be her getting my dad up and doing the dance with him that I am stuck doing every 20 minutes.  I love that she takes over everything like that.
    It is almost 1:00am and at least I lucked out.  HGTV is giving a whole night's worth of My Dream House.  I love looking at pretty houses by lakes or other bodies of water, so at least if I am alone, I got something cool to look at while my dad tries to sleep.  It has been good for the past hour, he has slept, but he is getting fidgety.  The nurses just came through and did his blood pressure check and stuff, and that did not wake him.  Hope he can sleep for awhile, but I can already see he is on the very edge of the mattress and he is moving his hands like he has mosquitos in front of him.
    It was rough, not only is he a pain, the hospital doesn't help.  They insist on checking his vitals every few hours and even if he is having a hard time sleeping, when they come in, they will wake him, it is kind of a dick move, in my opinion.
    Difference of night and day, it seems my dad is feeling better after eating some breakfast.  He finished his IV bags, took 3 in total, took a shower, put on new clothes, PT came in and he walked back and forth in the hallway, the guy, who was my old roommate and another guy that was in most of my classes since Kindergarten looked a little different, honestly, I didn't recognize him at first, but it was good to see him.  I have about 1 more hour to go before the cavalry shows up and he just propped himself up from a laying position to a sitting position, so I am leaving him in very good shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment