Thursday, January 17, 2019

1/17/19 We Pump....You Up?

    Along with trying to lose some weight, I am back on the weights, this time with my little twin.  Please don't think I am showing some sort of favoritism to Javalina, when Boy was at this age, I tried to get him into lifting, but he never showed much of an interest.  Javalina, on the other hand, had been asking since he started playing football last year, but I was trying to wait as I thought he might be too young.
    At this point, he is headed to high school in less than a year and anything to give him an advantage here coming up on the shot put which he still is pissed he wasn't 1st place and for football.  I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I have been lifting since about 1991 on and off.  It really helps, but it is also a huge commitment.  This is one of those, that with Wife being three hours away, we can focus on this every day after school, and we have.  Currently, we are doing bench press for chest and curls (variety) for biceps and triceps (various extension type) on one day and shoulders on the other day, repeating it twice a week.
    Aside from lifting, we have a big cylinder tackling dummy and we go through practicing initial contact when the football is hiked.  He is aware of moves like the swim move and others, but has resisted using them.  I am trying to get him comfortable using all his tools.  He has an explosive first step, and this is with raw arms, he might be something great once I can help put some real muscles to back it up.  I personally just want to look decent, he is planning his future here.  Along with lifting, he is doing bear crawls and other weird walking techniques to strengthen the legs.
    Wife doesn't like it, we already have the punching bag and bench in the living room, and I was telling Javalina today that we really need a squat rack to work the legs, but maybe that will have to go in the garage.  I am already feeling better about walking, I started last week, so if we can, I would like to start jogging with him here in a couple weeks when the weather warms up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment